West Coast Brewers: Iron Brewer 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately i will not be able to get to the much anticipated December meet due to having to do an airport pickup however am very willing to drop them off to someone so as they get to the meet for judging.
Can anyone help me out.

Cheers
Big D
D
You can drop them by my place and put them in the fridge in the carport if you want, see your pm's for an address

Thanks Darryn.Read and replied to pm before this post so i know now where to hide the beers.

Cheers
Big D

Jeez im not that rich Sinkas.Anyway would be a bit rude to expect the folks to taxi to my place from the airport.

Cheers
Big D

UPDATE: i think i was a little off with my original post

CLUB JUDGING SHEET:

Matt Ironside WON on club judging

GUEST JUDGING SHEET:

Vlad the Weekend Warrior WON on Guest Judging

PEOPLES CHOICE:

it was a draw 7 votes to 7 votes, vlad the weekend warrior vs matt ironside

darren had the final taste off and ian came out on top.

congratulations IAN you are the supreme "IRON BREWER"

the full speadsheet will be available soonish to either confirm or deny i'm wrong so watch this spot....

Yes folks results are in and the judges decision is final,

The club members judged the beers on the night according to the "loose" BJCP styles they were entered under all with an underlying "smoked tinge". There were a few entries which raised the eyes of the stewards with unorthodox brewing techniques such as "Dry Malting" and "nano micro" batch sizes to brew a style primarily based on an ingredient which was only supplied in a small quantity. We also saw hopping regimes that ranged from throw it all in at the beginning of boil and hope it settles down by judging, to throw it all in at end of boil and see what aroma we get from Super Alpha to the restrained "can I get away with one pellet of Super Alpha and NZ Hallertauer so I can use all the Styrians". Overall everyone embraced theme and that was to do the best they could with the ingredients provided and for the amount of ingredient kits handed out 4 months previously we managed to get over 80% back as submitted entries, fantastic job guys.

Our guest judge was asked to judge the beers not so much as to specific style guidelines but to judge each on its merit and who best interpreted the Ironbrewer theme. His comments sum things up pretty well:
"There were some very good beers in there. I saw a lot of very good brewing talent and some very good judgment and restraint. The worst were drinkable and the best, sublime"

So without further ado I present the results. Overall the West Coast Iron Brewer for 2007 by people choice was our agent provocateur now weekend warrior Vlad the Pale Aler who it would appear does happen to know a thing or two about beer :blink:

View attachment WCB_Iron_brewer_07_results.pdf

Vlad, know something about beer? naaah.

Good to see the results, in particular the range of beer styles entered. I had a bet with myself that there would be a lot of porters, and I reckon I won it.

I missed out on the coveted wooden spoon! I was ripped off, I demand a recount

Yes Tony he has a way with words !

Congrats to Tony and Vlad and well done to AusDB - a hell of a lot of work went into prepping and running this comp and it was very successful.

(just don't mention Rauch Malt :D )

I missed out on the coveted wooden spoon! I was ripped off, I demand a recount
Going by the results Barf it looks like in my first Westcoast Brewers comp i can lay claim to the "Coveted Wooden Spoon"award going by the results.
So when can i pick it up guys . ;)

Cheers
Big D

All hale King Vlad! Sorry I couldn't pass on congrats earlier, but I have just got online in the UK. What a great comp! Thanks to all involved for setting up.

WestOz

All hale King Vlad! Sorry I couldn't pass on congrats earlier, but I have just got online in the UK. What a great comp! Thanks to all involved for setting up.

WestOz
You didn't do too shabby yourself there Matt especially as a newcomer, actually I remember a few years back Vlad came along to his 1st WCB meeting / compeititon and cleaned us all up with a belgian pale ale.

Latest posts

Back