Wells Bombardier Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im having trouble with the colour as in your recipe. You get 28 EBC, about what I get, interview says 50, would the invert sugaer make that amount of difference

or is Brewmate miscalculating colour values or am I missing something.

Missed that post. Yes now that you mention it, spot on - I'd accidentally been looking at the EBC for the crystal malt they use where he said 130/140 - 128 seemed near enough with the ingredients I was using and I reckoned that the invert would probably come out around similar to liquid malt extract. Completely forgot about the EBC of 50 he mentioned at the beginning of the interview, I've just dragged out my notes and there it is: EBC 50 IBU 32.

Doh.

However I've transferred to CC and it was a very nut brownish colour anyway - had a half pint out of primary (I'd already taken it down to 6 ) and I was instantly back in the Old Dart sitting outside an Ivy covered inn watching the Morris Dancers :( - Wow.

When I get a better hang of the inverting process I'll have another whack and see what colour it comes out. Will post a piccie and tasting notes end of next week. :beerbang:

Edit: my buddy from Sydney brought me some maltose syrup, enough for a couple of batches, so next lot should be nearer to the "interview".

looking forward to hearing final result...keep us posted Bribie

First attempt is now in the glass and second is well underway in the fermenter.

I'm at a bit of a loss about that EBC of 50 ... I don't think mine is too far off the mark as it is compared to the published picture. Only the third pint out of the keg so I'm still picking up a bit of haze as I'm drinking it young so it will look a bit darker in the glass when I get onto the clear stuff. hmmmm.

Oh the flavour ... this is bloody nice and rich and surprisingly malty with all those adjuncts. The Challenger gives it a nice citrussy note. Can't wait to try #2.

Bombardier.jpg

bombardier_2.jpg

What are you changing on recipe #2

Very similar recipe but because I got hold of some maltose syrup I used a 400g tub of that and made the rest of the sugars up with a darker, this time, invert that I cooked up. The yeast is from the first batch (Wy 1768 PC).

Latest posts

Back