Welding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Not sure if the Pub is the right place for this but....

So, I have finished my bar and due to some late changes, the lid has turned out heavier than I wanted.

Its a bit of a pain on your own to open and chock by yourself.

I was quoted over $300 for gas struts. So, thats out. Way out.

What I am after is a friendly AHBer in the Sydney /Bowral / Wollongong area that could do me a favour. Can be paid cash, can be paid beer, whatever.
I just want a simple threaded bar to run through some nuts, and to be driven by hand, via a wheel or something. Basically a screw / worm jack arrangement. That way I can slowly and surely, jack the lid open without busting my pooper valve.

Anyone out there, that can help?
Anyone out there with a better idea as hb'ers are a resourceful bunch.

I know there are tons of threads on welding, but I just want a favour in my area.

Cheers,
mckenry

Not sure if the Pub is the right place for this but....

So, I have finished my bar and due to some late changes, the lid has turned out heavier than I wanted.

Its a bit of a pain on your own to open and chock by yourself.

I was quoted over $300 for gas struts. So, thats out. Way out.

What I am after is a friendly AHBer in the Sydney /Bowral / Wollongong area that could do me a favour. Can be paid cash, can be paid beer, whatever.
I just want a simple threaded bar to run through some nuts, and to be driven by hand, via a wheel or something. Basically a screw / worm jack arrangement. That way I can slowly and surely, jack the lid open without busting my pooper valve.

Anyone out there, that can help?
Anyone out there with a better idea as hb'ers are a resourceful bunch.

I know there are tons of threads on welding, but I just want a favour in my area.

Cheers,
mckenry

Could you use gas struts from Ebay? The kind that hold up car boots etc? $300 sound steep,

How heavy is this lid?
How far do you need to lift it?

Cheers,

D80

Could you use gas struts from Ebay? The kind that hold up car boots etc? $300 sound steep,

How heavy is this lid?
How far do you need to lift it?

Cheers,

D80

i reckon the lid, with font on top would be about 40 - 50kg.
It needs to open at the front about 400mm - hinged at the back. So, roughly 30 open

Rather than a threaded rod and a screw type setup you would be better off running a straight rod across the back of the lid under the lid near the hinges. Then sliding a spring over this which has a tab coming out under the lid. Then the lid is spring assisted when you lift it.
Hard to describe but if you look around you will see an example if what I'm talking about.

Think similar to how a automatic garage roller door uses a spring to help lift the door.

Check out ebay cant post link on my phone but on9sale is the seller has gas struts that will open 350mm and lift 70kg ea for $70 delivered

Another option is a flat bit of Steel on the lid with notches that click onto a steel bar on the base. Basically like those used on the big dump bins.

Cheers

Robbo

Eyebolt in lid, pulley in roof, rope with hook?

Or a membership to fitness first!

Check out ebay cant post link on my phone but on9sale is the seller has gas struts that will open 350mm and lift 70kg ea for $70 delivered

Thanks kezza, done.
Same specs only $230 cheaper !

Would be great if you could post a pic or 2. Have you considered a counter weight?

Go to your local cash and carry wreckers, steal some from a commodore wagon/forester/falcon wagon/etc boot door

Rather than a threaded rod and a screw type setup you would be better off running a straight rod across the back of the lid under the lid near the hinges. Then sliding a spring over this which has a tab coming out under the lid. Then the lid is spring assisted when you lift it.
Hard to describe but if you look around you will see an example if what I'm talking about.

Think similar to how a automatic garage roller door uses a spring to help lift the door.

I think you can also use the tensile strength of the rod as the spring. It would probably take more trial and error (or math :p) to see how much you can twist the rod.

Pretty sure that's how most chest freezers work.

Back