Welding Threads Old Kegs - Worthwhile?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making a digital HLT, and then a Mash Tun (if the former is successful).

Basically I've got some (legally obtained) old kegs, a control circuit, and a plan.

I want to know if it's best to have threads welded into the side of the keg, or whether weld-less is the way to go?

I figure welded would have some initial pain in the cost. But if I had some threaded tubes (female) welded into the walls I reckon could just screw in my analogue backup thermometer, and the s.steel housing for my temperature probe. Also it would be easier to clean since there's no o-ring to remove, but this is just supposition.

Any advice here?

cheers,
-kt

Professional and sanitary = welded tri clovers
This eliminates the threads - which is predominately where bugs likes to hide.

Welded or weldless are pretty similar, they both have threads.

Welded are a bit more difficult to clean the threads, as you cant really take them off and soak them.
However weldless take longer to clean etc.

IMO if your going to pay for someone to weld them, then you may as well get tri clovers welded.

If there's no cost difference perhaps. But HLT and MLT don't need tri-clover fittings, being pre-boil and all.

Welded fittings, whatever type, are going to be more robust and leak free, plus easier to clean. So 'better' but can be significant cost difference, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with weldless fittings, once you get them set up right, they shouldn't be leaking either.

Depends how easy access to quality welding services are, a bodge is a bodge whatever the format.

I have weedless fittings and they are easy to remove, clean and have never leak I looked at getting the pot welded but then ill have a thread on the pot that will be difficult to clean and its an extra expense that it not needed.

Latest posts

Back