Welding Stainless Steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Can anybody out there tell me if I could silver solder nipples and fittings to S/Steel kegs to make AG equipment or do these fittings have to be TIG welded.
I think you can get lead free silver solder but I am not sure.
Any views appreciated,

B B B.

Big beer belly

you can get food grade silver solder but it will cost you an arm and a leg. It also needs to be cadmium free but if you speak to a good welding supply place they should know what you're after.
I found some a few years ago and it was a small roll specifically designed for Stainless Steel repairs of food processing equipment.

Hoops

bbb
i could ask the boilermakers at work on monday but id lay money on there answer.
tig weld your fittings.i would.

cheers
big d

im a sheety and if you can get mig welder with stainless wire you could weld it yourself that what in gunna do or can u get an oxy as all you would need is some stainless filler rod

Jazman,
Tell me more about this stainless filler rod and using oxy to weld stainless.
I have got an oxy set and a mig welder, but to mig it might mean that the integrity of the weld may not be 100% and as well as I would have to set up to do it,
IE gas and wire etc.

any help appreciated

B B B.

Remember that after welding the weld needs to be "pickled" using a pickling paste. This removes impurities from the surface and "passifies" the suface by providing the natural oxide layer that protects stainless steel. Comes up a treat. You can get it from welding equip suppliers CIG etc.

all you need is a thin ofcut of some 2mm stainles that would do it to and as hops said the piclking past is a must with stainless it also stops corotion

Back