Welding Inside Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanoontour

Reaction score
So how many guys here have the fittings welded on both the inside and outside of there kettle? I'm confident welding but to get into the inside of the keg down low is going to be a PITA.
So, is there a problem with not welding the inside?
Cheers

So how many guys here have the fittings welded on both the inside and outside of there kettle? I'm confident welding but to get into the inside of the keg down low is going to be a PITA.
So, is there a problem with not welding the inside?
Cheers

Outside only is fine.

Welding from outside may even give you a bit of penetration/beading to the inside (dependent upon many things of course).
I used a stick welder on a keggle and only welded on the outside and it is fine.

Can you use a stick welder for food grade?

Cheers

You can, but it needs to be a schmick weld. Unless you know what your doing or can practice first i wouldn't bother. I can weld mig and tig, but stick is a PITA

Can you use a stick welder for food grade?

Cheers

What is food grade really? Are chromed brass compression fittings food grade? Would copper pipe used in manifolds be food grade? Are brass taps food grade?
But yeah the rods I used were 304 grade stainless, no I did not pickle it, yes I cleaned it up and passivated it (albeit a boggit and leggit style). Has it corroded? No. Does it seal? Yes. Would it be any less food grade than a weldless fitting? Probably not.
For the record, I reckon _WALLACE_ is correct.

Latest posts

Back