Welcome To John Palmer

• Thread starter Outback Brewshed
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Outback Brewshed

Hi I took the liberty of inviting John Palmer to visit our forum.

A lot of us look to your book on a regular basis, and with good reason.

Welcome John I hope you enjoy our forum.

OB

Outback Brewshed said:
Hi I took the liberty of inviting John Palmer to visit our forum.

A lot of us look to your book on a regular basis, and with good reason.

Welcome John I hope you enjoy our forum.

OB
[post="51144"][/post]​
Thanks OB,
I always enjoy talking about brewing because I don't often get the chance these days to actually do it. (3 young kids) Although I did brew two extract and grain beers last weekend at our brewclubs annual club brew day. We go to a local business park where one of the members has a unit and take over a section of the parking lot on Sunday when no one is there. We bring food and grill burgers and share beers while we all do a batch or two. I made a Vienna and an Amber. Both are fermenting well in my brewshed out back.

Being Easter Sunday, I am monitering the ham in the oven. Better go check on it.
Cheers,
John

Welcome John and thanks OB.
A pleasure to have you here at AHB.
Your HTB site and book are the first recommendations made when new brewers ask here what is good background text to read.
I speak for all of us welcoming your valued experienced input.

Beers,
Doc

welcome john

i have found this forum one of the best sources of brewing information and experience around and it will be good to get some of the US homebrew experience

i too share the limitations of 3 young kids, yesterday i did a 50l all grain batch with the 3 year old trying desperately to help by, turning the tap on the HLT and nearly dousing himsleg in 70 deg water, trying to grab hold of the kettle legs during the boil, and then to top it off sticking his head into the fermenter once i had the wort drained into it etc etc.

they just increase the degree of difficulty a bit!

cheers

chris

Well that was a bit of a BUZZ fellas. Hope he comes back again soon so we can pick his brains. I would like to see his Vienna recipe, just out of interest.

STEPHEN

Hi Guys,

I have email john several times with loads of questions, and he always has time to help. I find he is one of lifes gentlemen, always willing to help in the pursuit of brewing better beer.

Mmm I'd like a copy of his vienna recipe. Looking forward to brewing it up.

Thanks Guys,

OB

Now that i have had a think about it, could anyone out there with a good Vienna recipe please post for us all to check out. As i am in need of some new direction with my recipes.

G'day John, welcome to our little beer forum. As Doc said, your book is generally recommended reading for new brewers, i know it helped me enormously when i first started brewing, helping progress very quickly from really bad kit beer to really tasty partials and AG, and is still a reference to me today.

I look forward to being able to ask you some questions.

I thought he had done posts on the site before , in fact I know someone did claiming to be him. <_<

Oh well <_<

Batz

I'm glad others are going through the brewing with 3 kids experience as well, (on both sides of the Pacific - welcome John !!).

I've got 3 boys, (5, 2, 0.5). The other day I was trying to keep the 2 year old interested in what I was doing, looked away for a minute, and when I looked back he was blowing into the airlock as if it was a whistle. Beer turned out OK so no harm done, but I was a bit worried.....

Batz said:
I thought he had posred on the site before , in fact I know someone did claiming to be him. <_<

He's definitely been here before, given his join date.

I too am glad we have someone dropping by who has such experience. How To Brew was the first book I bought. It was easy to follow and makes me want to become a better brewer. When I first opened the cover I was chuffed that it was autographed :D

well, if i had any doubt about what a good guy john palmer is, its gone now. ive used his book (only online, sorry john) several times and find it interesting and informative. great work. and welcome to the site!
joe

Batz said:
I thought he had posred on the site before , in fact I know someone did claiming to be him. <_<

Oh well <_<

Batz
[post="51188"][/post]​

I know John Palmer has posted on Grumpys before now. So, posting to an Aussie board is not without precedent.
I don't imagine we will hear heaps from him, but it is nice to have him on board.
As many others have already made clear, How to Brew, both on line and in hard copy, has been the starting point in many an Aussiehomebrewer's journey, mine included. :beer:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind words, it is always surprising and gratifying to hear that my "five years of ignoring the children" - Mrs. Palmer, has been so appreciated! :D

Basically, I browse several forums a day, doing searches on my name in case someone has a specific question for me about something I have written or said. Between work, home, and book orders, I don't have a lot of time to participate in discussions, so I browse to try and keep in touch as much as possible. If any of you do have a question, feel free to email me directly. I get a couple dozen a day and I try to answer them all. I don't post much on forums because there are a LOT of good brewers in the world and there are a lot of better brewers than myself, so when I see a question and answers that agree with what I would say then I generally move on instead of trying to get the last word in. ;)

Yes, I actually joined this forum a while back but haven't been around much. I will certainly try to be here more often now.

I will post my Vienna recipe in a new thread.
Good Brewing,
John

Cheers John

Thanks for your reply again , especially at 1.00am in the morning
Kids keeping you up?

yep welcome to the site john.im doing 2 extra nights shifts so no prizes for quessing what i read at work .

cheers
big d

Hi JJP,
Great to see you here, some people might be like that scene in wayne's world were they meet Alice Cooper ;)
We're not worthy!............ hah just kidding.

For the guys who are after your thoughts on vienna i think pg 256 is a good start. :D

Jayse

Lucky us big d
Nightshift tonight for me :(
And tommorrow :angry:

When I first opened the cover I was chuffed that it was autographed

Mine too NRB (thanks Dave @ Goliath). I have the book beside my recliner in the lounge and flick through it on a daily basis. A great source, thanks John, and welcome.

Brett.

Latest posts

Back