Weizenbeck Recipe Ideas Needed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmaboy

Reaction score
Hi people,
yesterday i had my first ever aventinus weizenbock (for want of a better descriptor), and rather liked, so instaed of buying some more I figured i could try and brew something to the same style. Given my limitations of not having an AG setup, I thought of doing a kit base recipe but i cant find one, so I'm hoping for some help please.

My guess so far, to replicate, purely as a guess is
wheat beer kit 1.7kg
amber LME 1.5kg
wheat LDME 1.0kg
english crystal malt 500gms steeped
wyeast 3068 yeast
to 19 litres

any thoughts?

pharmaboy said:
Hi people,
yesterday i had my first ever aventinus weizenbock (for want of a better descriptor), and rather liked, so instaed of buying some more I figured i could try and brew something to the same style. Given my limitations of not having an AG setup, I thought of doing a kit base recipe but i cant find one, so I'm hoping for some help please.

My guess so far, to replicate, purely as a guess is
wheat beer kit 1.7kg
amber LME 1.5kg
wheat LDME 1.0kg
english crystal malt 500gms steeped
wyeast 3068 yeast
to 19 litres

any thoughts?
[post="117707"][/post]​

i reckon that will be pretty good! i'd be tempted to switch all the amber for more wheat extract and steep 50-100g chocolate malt as well if you want. and throw in 20g of Hallertau in for 15 mins. but i reckon youll be doing all right with that recipe. get it to 1075-1080 and let it rip.

I just put the recipe into ProMash (great toy), and you are mighty close.

How close U get depends on the crystal malt U use. Are ya gonna have light or dark crystal in there, and do you know the colour rating?

For myself, I'd use about 300g of the dark English crystal (75 L) with 100g choc malt and only 950g wheat DME, to get a gravity of close to 18.5 Plato (which is the Aventinus gravity as per their website).

And I'd certainly toss in up to 15g Hallertau for the last 10-15 minutes.

I've done some research and the Wyeast W3638 can also be a good choice as yeast.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Uncle Seth out :p

Weizguy said:
I just put the recipe into ProMash (great toy), and you are mighty close.

How close U get depends on the crystal malt U use. Are ya gonna have light or dark crystal in there, and do you know the colour rating?

For myself, I'd use about 300g of the dark English crystal (75 L) with 100g choc malt and only 950g wheat DME, to get a gravity of close to 18.5 Plato (which is the Aventinus gravity as per their website).

And I'd certainly toss in up to 15g Hallertau for the last 10-15 minutes.

I've done some research and the Wyeast W3638 can also be a good choice as yeast.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Uncle Seth out :p
[post="117745"][/post]​

Will be off to the HBS today hopefully, so will definately get some choc malt - that seems to be the go, only 50 grams due to fear of the unknown.

Crystal malt is the lighter colour version at MHB's, has a nice sweetness to it (wont be true to method I'm sure, but i'm happy to cheat. The yeast will be some trub from the primary at the moment, so I'll see how that goes seth.

thx for the input guys

Latest posts

Back