Weirdest Thing You've Plopped Into The Fermentor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there a spacific reason for black jelly babies/beans or is it a joke that i missed?
It imparts an aniseed flavour to stouts as well as carbonating it, instead of sugars, quite nice actually.

I wonder how Darryl Lee soft liquorice would go as a primer in a stout... hmmm????

Speaking of aniseed and weird things, I recall someone mixing Sarsparella and Beer to drink, like a Shandy. Never tried it but it sounds an ok combo.

Cheers

Sully

Geez! Don't think I can compare to any of the stories in here.

Worst i've done is drop the rubber grommet from the airlock in off one of my fermenter. Shrugged it off "Meh, it's sterile". Got one off one of my fermenters not in use, sterilised it, and fit it in place. Turned out to be a great beer.

Besides that, its just hops, sugar, and the occasional bit of water. So i've got nothing!

Just finished draining from the kettle into the fermenters....and guess what I found bobbing around in one of the fermenters? A ******* cockroach! Must've fallen in the kettle during the boil. Some cultures may think they're a delicassy but I certainly dont. Fished it out and it was definately dead so hopefully it was in there for a while! Spewing!
Cheers
Steve

Just finished draining from the kettle into the fermenters....and guess what I found bobbing around in one of the fermenters? A ******* cockroach! Must've fallen in the kettle during the boil.
Cheers
Steve

Just finished draining the kettle. Found a staple. Wasnt there before filling kettle, so who knows how it made it in there and where did it start?

Just finished draining from the kettle into the fermenters....and guess what I found bobbing around in one of the fermenters? A ******* cockroach! Must've fallen in the kettle during the boil. Some cultures may think they're a delicassy but I certainly dont. Fished it out and it was definately dead so hopefully it was in there for a while! Spewing!
Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve , have a look at my post 37 in this thread. My cockroach ale turned out fine
And no jokes about mantis's and cockroach eating eh <_<

It imparts an aniseed flavour to stouts as well as carbonating it, instead of sugars, quite nice actually.

I wonder how Darryl Lee soft liquorice would go as a primer in a stout... hmmm????

Speaking of aniseed and weird things, I recall someone mixing Sarsparella and Beer to drink, like a Shandy. Never tried it but it sounds an ok combo.

Cheers

Sully

Wife just got some Darryl Lee and i was sad to see it at 300g, i swear it was 420g or 500g or more the last bag I bought.

Steve the important question is.... did it drink much????

We need a name Steve's brew topic.....

Roach killer bitter

Cat hair will occasionally make its way in to the fermenter, actually none of the house is free of their tyranny. Thankfully it's tasteless and hasn't caused any infections (mustn't have been a hair from the base of the tail ;) )

Cat hair will occasionally make its way in to the fermenter, actually none of the house is free of their tyranny. Thankfully it's tasteless and hasn't caused any infections (mustn't have been a hair from the base of the tail ;) )

Ohhhh , the temptation. No, dont go there :ph34r:

In hindsight I can see where that might be construed as something other than a feline pussy :)

In hindsight I can see where that might be construed as something other than a feline pussy :)

:D
We have 6 cats and a Jack Russel terrior so hair is everywhere. Its the main component of the vac contents when emptied into the bin.
With them and 3 women in the house, its no bloody wonder that I got into brewing out in the shed.
Me, the dog, our one cool brewhouse cat (burmese), and the footy on the radio and the smell of malt and hops. :icon_cheers:

the worst ive done is stuck my whole arm in to get a hop sack i dropped in the fermentor out (which was open) its surprising how forgiving beer is still didnt get an infection.

and one time i was bottling and the wasps would go away away so some of them crawled into the bottles and i just bottled them up and called it wasp ale haha no ones drank em yet :rolleyes:

I've done a pumpkin porter before, cubed, roasted then added to a 2 hour boil.
It was a great success, no one but me could taste the pumpkin, bloody uneducated fools!
They keep asking me to make it again

The cockroach beer was fine. Ive realised they hide in the very top lip of my keggle. Was kegging a brew yesterday, cleaned out the fermenter and a bee came out with the water. Ive noticed I get a few bees hanging around when brewing. If must have fallen in the kettle, then got into the fermenter and staying through the whole fermentation. It was Docs Aidens Irish Red. I think I'll call it Nosy Bee Red Ale.
Cheers
Steve

all gold gold gold, sorry to anyone that wanted to put this thread to rest but stumbled on to it and cant stop laughing lol :lol:

Mate of mine recently had mushrooms growing in his.... don't think it was on purpose though, scummy bugger :icon_vomit: . I've put cloves in with cider before that was nice.

Aaron

Katie

A mate of mine primed his bottles of stout with black jelly babies (not beans) and it was beautiful. Give it a go in a couple of stubbies next time (one per stubbie).
Cheers
Steve

Years ago (about 20 years) my Dad used Black Jellybeans to prime - 2 per tallie if I remember rightly (TBC tonight).
Originally I am from Napier, New Zealand and apparently this method was quite popular within the local brewing community. Everything was tried yada yada yada but now there is a Brew Shop in Napier named "Jellybean Brewing Supplies" and they do all the wierd and wonderful.

Back