Weird gluten free ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr B

Reaction score
Pitched an extract brew made with sorghum extract and rice malt syrup two days ago. First of its kind.

The ferment is pretty weird. I presume everything is ok, but post for interest.

Looks like big clumps of yeast have grown, filling up to half of the volume at the moment, and very little krausen or by the looks of it co2 production.

There was very little grub or cold break when pitched from the nochill cube, so it’s not that.

Perhaps it will take off soon...

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

I have made gluten free beers before using sorghum syrup and maltodextrin. I have used both S04 and US05. The beer looks different when it's fermenting and I have never got a krausen. I assume it has to do with the protein levels and/or the type of protein in the beer. It should ferment out just fine if you have used good quality yeast. Do the usual checks with your hydrometer.

By the way, I also added yeast nutrient to the boil.

Yep should be fine, didn’t mention that I used rehydrated uso5 and pure O2 before pitch.

Good point, I didn’t use nutrient as before pitching I read that the sorghum syrup had adequate goodies for yeast, but think I would pop some in next time round.

All good fun, it is certainly a different ferment to a grain batch.

I’ll be interested to see how much all the crap settles out when finished and crashed

Cheers

Latest posts

Back