Weihenstephan Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borret said:
Weiz, did you get my PM?

Borret
[post="55867"][/post]​

Yep. I'll get back 2 U in the next 20 min. Apologies.

My daughter is using the PC to play on the web.

BTW, I have my Wyeast wall chart, which advises the temp range for the W3068 is
18 - 24 C. Go for it.
Seth

Hmmmmm, wyeast wall chart. Do you have a digital version of that??!!

Higher secondary away we go.

Speeking of wall charts, have you seen the periodic table of beer. It's very usefull indeed. Got a digital copy of that but you will need a big printer....as I have at work.

Look forward to your reply

Borret.

Borret said:
Hmmmmm, wyeast wall chart. Do you have a digital version of that??!!

Higher secondary away we go.

Speeking of wall charts, have you seen the periodic table of beer. It's very usefull indeed. Got a digital copy of that but you will need a big printer....as I have at work.

Look forward to your reply

Borret.
[post="55888"][/post]​
PM on its way.

I have no digital version of the wall chart, but most brew shops who sell Wyeast got these a while back. I can ask at Mark's if you wish.

Maybe a caring hbs owner out there has a spare for you. Otherwise, I believe that U can request one by mail from Wyeast. See their website.

Seth out :p

Guy's

Hold the phone. This yeast is bizzare. Yesterday nothing. All activity had ceased so had let it sit at whatever over the last 24 hrs so about the 20-22 mark. Tonight I bulk prime with wheat DME and taste the dregs about an hour after priming and there it is. A slight banana aroma and definately a hint of clove and even perhaps vanila forming in the background. I am feeling encouraged. Does all this yeasts goodness happen in secondary? Perhaps the claims of the main bavarian breweries is totally true and one of the major factors is the secondary fermentation (in the bottle). I could never understand those statements when you can get these flavours in the starter and not in the brew.
Time will tell. Or I am going insane.

Seth I went for 200g of DME for the 15 litres as this is the direction most of the calculators on the web were heading me for 3 volumes. From the research I did although malt has a approx 75% attenuation the gas produced is somewhere near only 61-62% of the same weight in sugar. Promash actually reckoned to use more but that was the limit of my trust. All in those bulletproof european pint bottles and thick brown 330's so should stand the pace.

Fingers crossed

Borret.

Borret,

Would like to hear how U went.

I started a weizen with a 1 litre culture last night and tonight it is about to scum-up the inside of my fermentor lid and foam out of the airlock (23 l in a 30 l vesssel).

Going off at 17 C. Outside the temp range 4 this yeast. Go figure? Happy? I'm ecstatic!

Seth out 4 now :p :beerbang:

Weizen yeast is funny stuff.

I haven't tried 3068 yet, but the weizens I've made with WLP300 and fermented at 20C have mostly had nice balanced banana/clove. That's with 50/50 Weyermann wheat & pilsner malt and a simple infusion mash at 67C, no ferulic acid rests or anything.

One funny thing about WLP300 is that it seems to lose its character with either big pitching or successive generations of yeast. The batches where I've made a 2 litre starter haven't had nearly as much character as the 1 litre starters, and one batch where I got lazy and just pitched a WLP300 tube - something I wouldn't normally do - was actually the best of all even though it took 24 hours to get going. It developed esters beyond just banana, including complex pear like notes which reminded me of Schneider Weisse.

I've never had a good result with repitching WLP300. Every time I've repitched WLP300 slurry I've ended up a with a beer with no banana and very subdued clove. If I try again I'm going to cut back the amount of slurry I repitch to see if its a change in the yeast or just relates to the cell count.

My next weizen will be with Wyeast 3638, which I haven't tried before.

cheers,
Colin

I Made a heffeWeizen a few months ago with WLP380, and admittedly I fermented a tad high, 23c. Boy did this have a lot of banana flavor and aroma, smelt and tasted like those banana lollies my kids eat. I haven't been game to make another one, even though I have a vial full of the yeast, it was just too overpowering.

Andrew

Damb zose Cwazy Germans with their secret plans to send us all mad.

Wiez,

In the end it did turn out in dissapointment. Some of the flavour was there but all that I had tasted at bottling time was gone when it came to drinking even after the bottle secondary @ 22deg.. And it was far too carbonated (as you may have guessed). Pouring is possible but a long and painfull process. So in my quest for the answer to all things german wheat I vowed not to bother with mashing wheat again till I at least get something drinkable from extract out of this yeast. :angry:

So bearing all this in mind and using another of the same culture I tried again with extract. Bittered and aroma with tettnanger and only a 10lt batch and using your advice (that collin has just confirmed) and pitched low. I only used less than a half litre starter for the 10litres (bearing in mind I used 1.8 for the 15litres before) and used some dried yeast as nutrient in the boil. I then aerated the sucker like there was no tommorow. I am now using a stainless airstone hooked up to a small compressor which really creates some turbulence in the fermentor. Anyway aerated it 4 times over about 5hr till the foam was at the top of the fermentor. and cooled to 16 deg in this time. Within 24 hrs all was crankin and it actually held it's own temp @ 19-20deg over some very cold nights in my ferm box. I was also interested to see that the foam was dome shaped too, about the same height again as the wort in the middle and only 20mm high around the edge (?).

Anyway at first taste when things calmed down (4 days) I was again dissapointed so I just left it sit as last time this was when I noticed some flavour develop (I was so discouraged I left it for a week.) Anyway when I tasted it to bottle the banana was almost overpowering and again there was clove. The OG was only 1044 so it was lighter than my last one. So now it's all bottled (only 10g WDME / litre this time) and tasted and there is a drop in the banana (thankfully) and what remains I am quite happy with although closer to a paulaner hefe wiesbier than the schnieder benchmark that I have set myself. :D

So I have made progress. Next batch I will probably go around the 20L mark and aim again for 500 ml starter and use some wyeast nutrient (I now have some) to kick it along.

Now that's all off my chest.... sorry for the essay but you did ask.

Any more snippets of wisdom you have before my next run will be recieved with open eyes(arms)

Will ben interested to hear how yours turns out. What was your recipe?

10-4

Borret :blink:

colinw said:
I've never had a good result with repitching WLP300. Every time I've repitched WLP300 slurry I've ended up a with a beer with no banana and very subdued clove. If I try again I'm going to cut back the amount of slurry I repitch to see if its a change in the yeast or just relates to the cell count.

My next weizen will be with Wyeast 3638, which I haven't tried before.

cheers,
Colin
[post="65222"][/post]​
Collin,

FWIW -Interesting you say this. If you have had a look around the schnieder website (very informative) they do harvest their yeast for reuse but they only skim it off the top. Are you harvesting and washing trub that may not be the healthiest top cropping yeast of the batch or are you skimming for reuse? I have not harvested this yeast, I tend to culture and split the original so I cannot comment directly on experience with the reuse thing but I thought you might find the schnieder website interesting.

But also as you say the rate of pitching with slurry may be too high. I too am experimenting with this.

Borret :blink:

Borret,

Thanks for the rapid (and positive) response.

My Weizen o.g. was only 1.040.
As you may have guessed by my nickname here, I have enjoyed some success with wheat beer and have fun consuming them.

My recipe is quite basic, and is all dry extract based (+ hops, of course).

I'll PM the recipe to U. I would favourably compare it to Shofferhofer hefeweizen. :chug:

Seth out :p

From a post by GT at Grumpy's (couldnt work out how to post the link)

"It has been recommended by Dave Logsdon of wyeast that the yeast needs to have a longer lag time than an ale yeast (wheat yeasts are essentially ale strains) so that the esters typical of German wheat beers are created. Frankly I find this pitching rate hard to quantify and would rather recommend that the brewer makes a regular ale sized starter and pitches it into a wort temp that is cooler than the recommended ferm. temp.
Worth considering is the ferulic acid rest (sorry, mashers only) at 40-43*C which, if I recall correctly, produces 4-vinyl-guaiacol, the precursor of the clove aroma.

I would pitch ale size but at 12*C and ferm at 18-20*C."

May help

Borret, I followed that Schneider-Weisse link and found it very informative (as you said). It's interesting that they ferment in open vats. I wonder how they keep out the undesirable bacteria?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

Back