Weight Of Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay Dive

Reaction score
I am trying to help a person who has recipes set down for Liqid Malt Extract in Litres only and I was wondering what an actual litre of LME weighed.
I want to use Promash.
Can anyone assist?

Gidday Lindsay, from memory those 3ltr containers of Weyermann extract weighed 4kg. Just checked the Weyermann website and yep, they are 4kg. So, 1ltr will be 1.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333 kg

Wes

Thanks Wes,

I have a local guy that is just about to open up a brand new BOP just around the corner from home. Spent the best part of 700K!!!!!
All the recipes given to him are in Litres and not weight.

Regards,
Lindsay.

700K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez, we can supply 3 decent sized new microbreweries for that money. He must have bought a franchise but how the hell do you amortise that sort of capital?? WOW! Be interested to see how he goes. You going to try a few brews Lindsay?

Wes

Hi wes,
He bought the equipment (same as U Brew It in Perth) as you would a franchise, however, he is not obligated to use their ingredients for ever.
It's a pretty flash looking set up. Six you beaut boilers (50 litres)with a lovely heat exchanger/filtering system that could be used for a hop back.
Ale fermenting room set at 18 degrees, lager fermenting room set at 12 degrees plus an incredible filtering, carbonating and you bottle it yourself set up.
Getting back to the weight of the malt extract. I just went down and had a look at one of the 205 litre/44 Gallon Drums and they clearing state that the contents are 300kgs.....now I'm still confused.
All the extract is Muntons from the UK.
Lindsay.

Hi Lindsay, those numbers give us 1.46. That could be right as the evaporation factor will change brewer to brewer.

Still an awesome setup.

Wes

Latest posts

Back