weber pizza oven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomiser

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just wanted to show off my diy gas fired weber pizza oven. I have a rambo burner for all grain brews that I use and an old weber that I modified. I got the idea for it from another forum (search pizzamaking little black egg it is about an 86 page thread). I have a laser temperature gun and this thing can get up to oven 500 degrees C. I usually preheat until the stone gets to 450 then start cooking. At full noise it can cook a pizza in about 90 seconds.

The first modification was to cut a hole in the bottom of the weber so that it can sit on the burner and all the flames can enter. I used a grinder.

20160103_180330.jpg

The next step was to cut a sheet of steel for the pizza stone to sit on. Cut a segment in the steel to direct the hot air.

20160103_175446.jpg

Then I cut another piece of steel to attach to the lid to cut down the airspace.

20160103_175441.jpg

Now cut a vent in the front of the lid. The purpose of cutting the slots is so that the hot air comes up at the back of the oven, passes over the pizza, and comes out the vent at the front. When cooking make sure that the cut in the base sheet is on the opposite side to the vent in the lid.

20160401_191847.jpg

20160103_200225.jpg

20160103_193954.jpg

If any of you have an old weber gathering dust and think it would get more use as a pizza oven I would highly recommend it.

randomiser said:
If any of you have an old weber gathering dust and think it would get more use as a pizza oven I would highly recommend it.
Yes. Yes I do...
A gas powered one to. In its current form only good if you enjoy your food burnt on the edge and raw in the center.

I'm curious where you fit in the drinking for food that only takes 90 seconds to cook however.

Dave70 said:
I'm curious where you fit in the drinking for food that only takes 90 seconds to cook however.
That is a serious concern.

Dave70 said:
Yes. Yes I do...
A gas powered one to. In its current form only good if you enjoy your food burnt on the edge and raw in the center.

boilermakers only take 5 seconds to skol...

Yes, but Dave is a Plumber, and although all plumbers I know can drink large amounts pretty quick, I have seen none do it in 5 secs

Over to the Spit roast thread with that please,

Looks good

You could consider putting some thermal mass in the lid section for enhanced radiant heat on the top during cooking

Update: Cut the circle of metal into a ring and dropped in a terracotta bowl to get thermal mass radiating heat. The ring is held up with 3 stainless 10mm bolts. Also bought a lazy susan from bunnings so I could easile turn the pizza. Used rust remover to strip the galvanising the graphite spray the ball bearings.

Love it. My Aldi knock off rarely gets used nowadays. Need to source a cheap rambo.

Latest posts

Back