Ways To Keep Kegs Cold?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Well, I am considering getting a kegging setup for my home brew, but I have a bit of a problem. My fridge (a bar fridge) is not large enough (actually, the gap between the freezer compartment and the wall of the fridge is not wide enough) to fit the keg in. So, I have a conundrum- if I want a keg (which I really do; I get tired of bottling sometimes), how will I be able to keep the beer in it cold, without the utility of having a fridge?

I'm considering buying a bigger fridge, but the money I would spend on it is already earmarked for use in my end of year trip.

Ideas, anyone??

Ahh, I see. So I just sit the keg on top of the cold plate??

How effective are they in keeping beer cold- my room gets quite warm in the summer

Nah sorry, that cold plate is designed to go in an esky basically-then you put ice on the cold plate. The beer is drawn out of the keg, through the cold plate and into your glass nice and cold. It's not a long term solution and is only good for a BBQ or similar.

Ask around everyone you know for another fridge. Plenty of people have old (not necessarily old) fridges that are no longer in use. Many will give them away if you'll take them away. I think people hold onto them because they are hard to dispose of. FWIW I bought a bar fridge for $25 that is in perfect working order and a full size fridge (well medium) that perfectly holds 4 kegs for $30 in A1 condition, only had a bung thermostat that I replaced with a tobins so cost me about $70-but I had the tobins already. Cheap fridges can be found. Keep looking.

Cheers, JD

Yeah... might have a look at uni on the noticeboards; see if any are on sale by someone.

Then I'll have a fridge for kegs and a fridge for bottles!! Yay!

peas_and_korn,
try to remove the divider that holds the freezer compartment I did it to my bar fridge
It now holds a postmix keg in there no problem.

Unfortionately the freezer compartment (which is just a section jutting down, taking up half the width of the fridge) is also the cooling element.

P & C if you bulk prime your kegs you dont need to keep them cold ... I keg in 50l kegs and bulk prime , they sit around for 2 or 3 months then we serve with a tap on a bar fridge and a s/s coil in side the fridge in a container of Icey water ... ...no keg cooling at all. I'm in far north Queensland and it gets pretty warm but all ways got cold beer....

My little bar fridge with its s/s coil get to go out as well its been to the beach ,on camping trips and on a mates 50 foot boat ...

Cheers fnq bunyip

Latest posts

Back