Way To Much Head When I Pour My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have been having trouble with over carbing my beers (i think) probably due to a lack of experiance. My method is i set my keg pressure to 300 kpa for 3 days and then turn it down to pouring pressure. What happens is when i pour my beer all i get is froth no beer even if the pouring prassure is at a slow trickle, you can even see gas bubbles going back up the line when you stop pouring.
dose anyone have any ideas. I'm using 2.5 meters of pouring line
Thanks

300kpa for 3 days? How's that working for ya?

Each system is different, but no system would like that kinda mistreatment. 300kpa for 12-18 hours will get you there. I do 100kpa for 4 days usually, if not force carbing.

But like anything in homebrewing, saying "blah blah" and not including the facts is like saying I LIKE BEER. What frickin beer?

How wide are your lines? What is your serving temp? What kegs? What beer? Et-cetera.

Take the IN lines off your kegs and burp them until it pours with half head, half beer. Leave the gas line off for a few liters. Then connect it back at 50-100kpa, depending on temp.

And do some searching. There's a spreadsheet here that'll tell you exactly what to do.

Learn about force carbing. And about "serving pressure carbing". Youtube has a dozen great videos on how to do this.

wow 300kpa for 3 days!! I do 300kpa for 1mins with rocking and its about right. I would say you have way over carbed your beer.

Who told you to do it this way??

Also as nick said, temp, height from keg to tap, line length, line diameter and serving pressure all play a part.

300kpa for 3 days
Where does this number come from, I 've seen it soo many times on here... it is wrong and will over carb the beer

TRY
300kpa for 24 hours, is the better number

OR
Leave it at serving pressure (say 80kpa) for 1 week and let it balance itself nicely.

QldKev

pouring pressure all the way for me :D about 3 days is drinkable, 5 days is better...

but as everyone says, there's all kinds of factors in your own system you need to learn, i tried 3 days in a mates keezer and it just didn't work as well.... must've been a couple degrees out from mine..

anyhoo..

another thing that can affect head is warm taps and big fonts, the aforementioned mate has a big andale font which is not flooded yet... if it sits for half an hour, all you get first pour is head...

i'd suggest burping your kegs (with no gas lines on) for a couple days, to try and get some gas out. then as others suggest pour off at low pressure until you get this one right. moving forward try the high pressure for one day or just go the slow simple route... it works a treat.

Thank for the info guys sorry i couldnt provide yous with all the specific information will take it all on board and try it your way next brew. Hope it works

Back