Quantcast

Water Volume

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Gents,
Of late I've been missing my numbers. I've been falling short. I've been mucking around with brewmate and I reckon my settings aren't right. I BIAB and use a 70ltr vessel. I was wondering in general how many litres of strike water (no sparge) do other BIABers use. I used 42ltrs today for a 23ltr batch. Any help would be appreciated.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
Jeez Rowy, I confess to know nothing about BIAB, but put simply, for a 23L batch you would be looking at 23L + 1L for every kg of grain + boil off + waste to trub.

Lemon

Reaction score
Rowdy, that sounds like a lot of water.I make a 23l batch and use about 32l strike water for a normal batch.
I'd have a look at the "calculator" that is probably available around. I got it at BIABrewer. This is how I established my settings.
Lemon

Crusty

The Electric Brewery
Reaction score
Gents,
Of late I've been missing my numbers. I've been falling short. I've been mucking around with brewmate and I reckon my settings aren't right. I BIAB and use a 70ltr vessel. I was wondering in general how many litres of strike water (no sparge) do other BIABers use. I used 42ltrs today for a 23ltr batch. Any help would be appreciated.
32.10lt for my strike in for an APA, 23lt batch, 80% efficiency, assuming 0.60l/kg water to grain absorption ratio.
I use BrewMate as well.

Lakey

Reaction score
Yeah I also mash in 32L to give me 23L at the end in my converted keg with a craftbrewer element.

Rowy

Reaction score
I've adjusted the water / grain absorption to .60 and that certainly helped.

Rowy

Reaction score
What's your strike in volume now Rowy?
37 litres............I do lose a fair bit to evaporation and trub. That 5 litres could be just about it I reckon!

Rowy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas! I'm brewing again on Saturday so I'll see how it goes.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas! I'm brewing again on Saturday so I'll see how it goes.
40 litres for a 25 litre brew, about 1.5 left in the pot, use the same pot as you, 3 ring gas burnerCheers