Water report perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc24

Reaction score
Does anyone have or knowwhere I can get a water quality report with the relevant info for brewers? I’m Hills District, WA. After an afternoon of searching it seems the best option may be to fork out to get a lab to test a bottle from my house?

Hi jc24 its hard to get a meaningful water report from the WA Water Authority they tend to quote a min and a max and state the water is within its parameters. The problem with getting your water tested is the WA water is a 'shandy' of desalination bore and dam and it can have enormous variations week to week - and on top of that they have started using chloramines at many of the water treatment plants which can be a bitch in your beer, some areas are worse than others, where I used to live the water was disgusting (Nedlands) down in Mandurah its not too bad but I ended going with RO, 'one' of the best moves I've made, if you go this route get a dow-filmtec filter the Chinese copies don't hit the ammonia part of the chloramine. Some people use Camden tablets, personally I dont use sulphites, I hate that $hit. fyi - https://www.psifilters.com.au/laund...se-osmosis-system-with-gauge-low-waste-1.html

Hi jc24 its hard to get a meaningful water report from the WA Water Authority they tend to quote a min and a max and state the water is within its parameters. The problem with getting your water tested is the WA water is a 'shandy' of desalination bore and dam and it can have enormous variations week to week - and on top of that they have started using chloramines at many of the water treatment plants which can be a bitch in your beer, some areas are worse than others, where I used to live the water was disgusting (Nedlands) down in Mandurah its not too bad but I ended going with RO, 'one' of the best moves I've made, if you go this route get a dow-filmtec filter the Chinese copies don't hit the ammonia part of the chloramine. Some people use Camden tablets, personally I dont use sulphites, I hate that $hit. fyi - https://www.psifilters.com.au/laund...se-osmosis-system-with-gauge-low-waste-1.html

Thank you! Would you mind sharing a bit about your experiences with the unit you linked to?
- do you have to prepare all of the water the day before you brew? I'm assuming it will take a long time to filter all of the water needed?
- how much does it cost to maintain (replace filters etc.)
- forgive my ignorance, but would water which has gone through reverse osmosis have Mg, Ca, Cl, HCO3, SO4, Na and CaCO3 values at 0?
- do you really think that is the best way?! Have you tried using the Brewlab Water test kit?

R/O user as well & from Perth as well
If you use Brun you dial in 100% R/O and the figures come up for you very close to a blank canvas
My R/O was from Psi filters very happy with it too
You can guess the means from the reports but high sodium & chlorides put me off

jc24

Hi, what rude said, good advice +
  • No, it takes about 11/2 hrs to make 23lts RO-H20 (depending on your pressure and there is a minimum for them to work) I use a brau and then make my sparge water typically my DS goes from around 90/130ppm down to 2ppm, I treat the water as per brun water and hit the mash Ph every time :-}...
  • $ nothing clean per instructions never missed a beat
see rudes comments
  • Yes / No, but we used to get the water tested through a mate and it was all over the place like a mad woman $hitting…

BUT - if your newish to brewing I wouldn't worry about the water for a while , do lots of reading starting with John J Palmer How To Brew, search this forum, best free advice on the net - half a days research is nothing! learn to make simple beers (you like) well and learn where the flavours come from by making small adjustments.

Latest posts

Back