Water Reoprt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Went to local water authority for a water report and got treated like a terrorist
wanting to do bad things to the towns water supply.

any way ended up running into an old mate who gave me a copy

Any body else had this problem :huh:

Pretty much the same response when I asked Hunter Water (my local water supply board).

The exact answer I had was: "Why do you need a water analysis, do you plan on contaminating it?"
Did they really expect me to answer yes, even if I did plan on doing such a thing?

In the end I walked off and found a typical analysis on their website, only I can't find a bicarbonate reading - but everything else is there.

No problem for the Water Authority here in the west. I rang them and they faxed the analysis to me.

This was last year, and I'm thinking of asking for the current report. Maybe they have tightened up too.

WJ

The exact answer I had was: "Why do you need a water analysis, do you plan on contaminating it?"
Did they really expect me to answer yes, even if I did plan on doing such a thing?

And why would you need to know the water composition if you were going to contaminate it? :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure that water authorities are legally obliged to release some data on water quality. Anyone know if that's right and what info?

while i dont know if its a legal requirement to provide any data, i am pretty surprised by people having trouble getting any information. there isnt a lot the public could ask of us that we wouldnt provide. pr seems to be getting more and more inportant these days.

Stuffed if I know Stuster.. I mean if I was going to contaminate a water supply, I'd just dump in product x,y & z and hope for the best :)
Jeez, hope they didn't hear me say that..... :ph34r:

The part that suprised me the most was that it was available on their homepage the whole time...

Stuffed if I know Stuster.. I mean if I was going to contaminate a water supply, I'd just dump in product x,y & z and hope for the best

Exactly. But keep it quiet now. :rolleyes:

The part that surprised me the most was that it was available on their homepage the whole time...

Classic. :lol:

only I can't find a bicarbonate reading - but everything else is there.
Hi Zoddy,

all you need to do is ask your local friendly neighbourhood chemist.

At the request of several locals, and with the minimum provision of liquid refreshment, the good people at Hunter Water have included all the info you need on this link.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, thats where I grabbed it from - but I couldn't find BiCarbonate readings as mentioned earlier anywhere on that page, unless I'm blind??

Or is that what your suggesting, I take a water sample to the local chemist - sorry, having a blonde moment.

Keith, thats where I grabbed it from - but I couldn't find BiCarbonate readings as mentioned earlier anywhere on that page, unless I'm blind??

Or is that what your suggesting, I take a water sample to the local chemist - sorry, having a blonde moment.

Likewise - everything bar bicarbonate when i looked a few weeks ago - happy to be proven I'm blind though :)

bicarbonate is a measure of hardness, they are using calcium carbonate equivalent, this is in the standard I think, would need to check tomorrow at work.

To do a full report will cost a fair bit, few hundred dollars.

I would think that as the water authority is selling you a product, water rates and excess charges, then surely you have a reasonable position to request information about what you are buying.

A thought, might not be a good thought, but a thought none the less.

Would taking a sample to your local pool shop provide enough information.....just about all have digital analysis machines, some basic but some quite funky.

Can't recall from last time I got my pool analysed, wouldn't know where the result is either.....

Memory says.....not detailed for this purpose....

Maybe someone else out there in the know?

Brownie

Hey WA folks remember you only get the typical analysis as a bunch of averages. The mains water can literally change overnight depending on wether or not the desal plant is feeding into supply aquifer water is in the supply and also varies quite seasonally it is becoming an increasing problem to deal with with the only indication being the pH changes.

I called into my local council earlier this year and requested a water report. I received a letter telling me our water has medium hardness, and nothing else.
I then wrote them a letter, enclosing a copy of Sydney Water's webpage with their water analysis, and asked them to give me the necessary details for the water function in my home brewing software. I explained I wanted to be able to adjust the water to suit the styles of beer I wanted to brew. My letter set out exactly the items I was interested in. I even offered to pay a fee if they wanted one.
It took them a month to reply, but I did get a response with the details I had requested, and at no charge.

Hey WA folks remember you only get the typical analysis as a bunch of averages. The mains water can literally change overnight depending on wether or not the desal plant is feeding into supply aquifer water is in the supply and also varies quite seasonally it is becoming an increasing problem to deal with with the only indication being the pH changes.

That may be true for you city slickers, but here in the south we get water from one of two aquifers.

The water can change seasonally, although I think the changes are not that great.

WJ

Back