Water quality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBottle

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I have recently had surgery and can't lift weight therefore lugging around full fermentors is out of the question, so having everything in place before starting is essential.

My enquiry is, has anyone filled the fermentor using the garden hose?
If I run water through to clear out any water that has been sitting in the hose will this work?

The only other options are to make several trips with a jug or no brewing for a few weeks. I am doing extract brewing so boiling isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I used to do it all the time in my kit days. Never had an infection but never brewed a beer that would win awards either. Come to think of it, I'm probably still not.

If you have to do it I recommend you get some potable water hose from the big green shed or a caravan store. Flush the lines for a bit before filling and you shouldn't get any hose tastes.

Done two kits using hose without issue. I did pitch straight away.

Hmmm, I use the hose. I can't think of any other way I'd be able to get water in the urn. It's a good blue one from bummings.

I'd also be interested if this is a problem or not.

It's definitely not recommended, although I have myself done it in the past. I think it's more due to it not being food safe/you might pull some plastic flavours out of it.

You can get the blue drinking water hoses from bunnings that are meant for caravans and what not. I just got some silicone hose hooked up to garden fittings though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Buy a food grade hose from bunnings. Ordinary hoses make water taste funny.

I use a 60L fermenter and always transfer through a hose. I use silicone hose, it's definitely food grade, no off flavours and can be boiled to sterilise if you want.

I've always used the garden hose. Some hoses have a plastic taste, most modern ones don't. As you said let it run first. Also check out my easy water filter build, it cleans up the water excellent.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is only a temporary fix until I'm fully healed and can lift again. I asked about the garden hose only because of the distance from the tap to where the fermenter will be in the garage. I see some have tried it with little to no problems. I also have a carbon filter that attaches to the tap/hose.

I have most of the equipment I need to start some all grain brewing but as yet no experience. I'm doing a lot of reading and hope to start soon.

Latest posts

Back