water quality?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Jethro 66

Reaction score
Hi all.
Living in Adelaide,we haven't got the "greatest" water going around.
Basically my question then is............what is the "best water" in Adelaide to brew with?
Years ago when I was regularly brewing,I just used water through our "Puratap" system.........like most people here,had some good ones and some crappy ones..........
Anyone go to the trouble of bottled / cask water?.............rainwater?
Interested in all points and opinions :)

NuggetSA

Reaction score
Yeah Adelaide water is a bit crap, heavily chlorinated and quite alkaline but after doing a test brew with Marble Hill cask water I honestly couldn't tell the difference. We're on filtered tank water now thank god...

If you're worried though grab some brew water from the West End Brewery dispenser - bloody cheap and I've got mates who swear by it. Money goes to charity as well which is cool.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
You could always consider installing a reverse osmosis system and then building your water profile from a blank slate. Not as complicated as it sounds.

goomboogo

Bring back Bum.
Reaction score
Jethro 66, what brewing method are you using? Are you doing kits or all grain mash brewing?

Jethro 66

Reaction score
just doing kits in the basic fermenter, with a bit of temp control,via fridge / heat pad as required

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Water quality wont make much if differnce to kits. Adelaide water is good for making ale.

Latest posts