Water Quality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackie

Reaction score
I'm about to get started but I have one question re the quality of water where I live. Other than the drinking water which we buy, my water supply is simply irrigation water from the Murray River. I'm prepared to buy water to make the beer but will the irrigation water be ok for cleaning purposes? Ten litres of water from the supermarket is less than $4.00 so its not a big deal.

No reason not to use the irrigation water for cleaning, you just might like to add a little more of your cleaning chemicals (to combat anything in the water), and depending on what you use to give it a rinse with the drinking-water before sanitising.
Cleaning with a sodium percarbonate based cleaner (ie nappisan type products) or bleach would have the added benefit of their sanitizing capabilities as well as cleaning properties.

But I would suggest that for sanitation purposes that you mix/use the drinking water and not the irrigation water.

Latest posts

Back