Water Profiles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just got my local water report (Prospect North) and everything is in ?/L - when looking in "how to brew" they do everything in PPM - is there a simple calculation to change x/ml to PPM?

Or does anyone else use the same water as me and add stuff - if so what do you add as a standard for an American Ale or British Ale?

thanks guys - very much appreciated

On a side note - for American and British ales, is it worth messing with the water or is the outcome negligible

thanks guys - very much appreciated

On a side note - for American and British ales, is it worth messing with the water or is the outcome negligible

WWWH,
Sydney water is pretty soft. Water treatment will help with many styles eg english bitters

WWWH,
Sydney water is pretty soft. Water treatment will help with many styles eg english bitters

Interesting. I'm brewing an ESB this weekend, any ideas on additions on getting Sydney water up to par?

A handful of gypsum, pinch of Epsom salts and a teaspoon of calcium chloride. Goes well with a mash of a bucket of base malt and about half a pint glass of crystal. Wollongong water is similar to Sydney, I understand. This is what I add and it works well.

A handful of gypsum, pinch of Epsom salts and a teaspoon of calcium chloride. Goes well with a mash of a bucket of base malt and about half a pint glass of crystal. Wollongong water is similar to Sydney, I understand. This is what I add and it works well.

PoMo, your recipe reminds me of the definition of an Engineer:

Someone who measures with a Micrometer, Marks with chalk and cuts it with an Axe :eek:

Someone who measures with a Micrometer, Marks with chalk and cuts it with an Axe :eek:

:huh:

Now that's just nasty, Dave... <_<

Back on topic, does anyone have a water profile for Newcastle? or any idea where it sits on the scale between soft and hard?

Ask Scotty about the bitter on tap atm. What works, works.

At least i know where my degree will get me...

Oh, that's not always true. Sometimes we measure with handbreadths, mark with crayon, and cut with a laser.

Interesting. I'm brewing an ESB this weekend, any ideas on additions on getting Sydney water up to par?

I would brew it without the additions first. If you think it still needs something try it on the next batch. You always need a point to base your additions.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

you sure about the Gypsum PoMo???

I put a teaspoon of Gyp into a 40L batch of APA and we ended up calling it "The Road Licker"!!!! Pulled the hops right up front and was soooo dry..Puckering to be more correct!!

mg/l is the same as ppm

Just going off the above measurement. If I look in "How to brew" it talks about what specs the water should be in between - my water (according to Syd water) is so far below the "specs" from how to brew it is not funny.

When I get home I will show some comparisons from the water report and how to brew

Or maybe I am reading it wrong....... <_<

No, you're not reading it wrong, WWWH. Sydney water is really soft. It's low in calcium especially compared to 'good' brewing water. A bit of gypsum and/or calcium chloride is good to use to get the mash pH right IMO, but then again there are plenty of brewers who don't use any and seem to make good beer. :huh:

I never used to adjust my water. The last 6 brews I have added some 5.2 and have not noticed any difference. I admit that it hasn't been the most accurate comparisons. To be conclusive I need to brew identical beers and only adjust the water, and I havn't done that.

I have always been happy with my beers. My malty beers seem to be malty and the hoppy beers I have made have always been hoppy enough. Starting to make a few more lagers now and have even found them to be nice and balanced.

I am going to try and brew this weekend so I might give it a go. Beers might be even better

Kabooby :)

According to the science, calcium ions are needed in the mash water for the enzymes in malt to fully convert the starches. In theory, calcium deficient hot liquor should lead to lower conversion and efficiency. There must be some calcium in malt, but I don't know if it's enough? I take science on board, but to me, personally, brewing is not a science, but a craft, and in some ways, an art. But the bits science tells us are handy to know.

In any event, Sydney and Wollongong's water is soft enough for measures such as "a handful" of calcium carbonate and a pinch of calcium chloride, etc to produce the desired effect, which is "enough" calcium and a suitable pH for mashing, and a good mineral profile to enhance hop flavours. I don't know if microgram accurate scales for adding minerals would help me make better beer, but I doubt it.

Going back to David's analogy of the engineer with an axe, I don't find the analogy completely apt. We are making beer, which has some pretty huge tolerances, not highway bridges or skyscrapers. I'm not sure what Dave's chalk-line drawing, axe wielding engineer is building exactly, but if he's chosen those tools, he must think there is enough tolerance in his project. If not, it is doomed to failure.

I treat my brewery as more of a kitchen than a science lab, and although my beers will not always be identical, even when following the same "recipe", it's not a big deal to me, just as one pasta sauce might be more garlicky than the next. Recent infections and yeast issues aside, I enjoy all the beer I brew, such as the 1.080 IIPA that just found it's way into a cube. The malt and hop aroma coming out of the kettle was awesome. I just threw in "some" hops as the wort boiled. Yes, and a handful of calcium carbonate, a pinch of Epsom Salts and about a teaspoonful of CaCl. ;)

Back