Water Profile After 3 Stage Filter Purchase Qs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
Ive just ordered a three stage water filter for my house as my wife wanted clean drinking and cooking water. Ahar! me thinks.
I realize this is not RO quality so when looking at additions for brewing where do you start?

There is no chance of getting a water analisis as I have approached the local council and they now think Im a crazy troublemaker.
We are above the catchment area of Brisbane so those stats are irrelivent.
More questions.
How effective are these things overall?
Could I assume its close enuf to pure H2O?
With these type of filters what is left in there after sediment, fluoride and chemichal filter, what will I have left to work with?
Should I treat it as RO water ?
What would happen if I added 5.2 powder to mash?
I could go on with the Qs? but if anyone has similar experiance after installing one of these things, advice appreciated.
I just think I should be looking at my water differently now.
Ive recently started adding salts ect with good results so now have to re calibrate\calculate. I see it as a new base water but have no stats.
All advice appriciated.
Daz

Hey Daz,

give us some Details on the actual Filter you got, that'll give us a better idea of what it is capable off.

cheers,

Florian

Hey Daz,

give us some Details on the actual Filter you got, that'll give us a better idea of what it is capable off.

cheers,

Florian
OK Florian, straight copy and paste from Clarance water filters

Product Description

Fluoride removal water filter system complete with tap and fittings for easy installation.

If you have sediment in your town water supply and you need to remove Fluoride & Chemicals from drinking water, then this system is ideal. Convenient great tasting water "On Tap" in your own kitchen, you will never need to boil your drinking water or buy bottled drinking water ever again. This system does not waste water, unlike reverse osmosis systems which waste 4-5 litres of water for every litre you collect to drink. Reduces Dirt, Mud, Slime, Algae, Rust, Fibers, Toxins, Solvents, Pesticides, Herbicides, Chloroform, Chemicals. Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Heavy Metals and may more contaminants. Removes over 90% of Fluoride for 1900 litres. Simple to install and very easy maintain.

First filter stage is a premium 1 micron ploy spun sediment filter which will remove dirt, sediment, algae, rust & fibers.

Second filter stage is the FL051 Fluoride removal filter which removes over 90% of Fluoride.

Third filter stage is a WC04/CRPB.45 is a 0.45 micron Carbon Block filter which removes Chlorine, chloroform, chemicals, toxins, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, Giardia, Cryptosporidium and also removes heavy metals.

Complete with easy to read installation instructions and all fittings needed to install. Heavy Duty USA made QMP housings on a white mounting bracket with quick connect push in tube fittings. Poly spun 1 micron sediment pre-filter, FL051 Fluoride filter and WC04/CRPB.45 Carbon block filter. Installation kit contains cold water supply connection for braided hoses or 1/2" stop cock taps. Kit includes an in-line non return pressure limiting valve with separate shut off tap for servicing and changing filters. 3 meters of 1/4" high pressure tubing which will allow you to mount the system away from the sink cupboard. System can be standing up or laid down if height is a problem. Quality ceramic disc chrome swivel tap ideal for filling jugs and bottles. Thread tape and housing spanner are also supplied.

It's recommended to replace filters every 1900 litres or 12 months depending on your water quality.

Dimensions of housing system including bracket are 360mm high by 390mm wide including tube fittings.

Ive just ordered a three stage water filter for my house as my wife wanted clean drinking and cooking water. Ahar! me thinks.
I realize this is not RO quality so when looking at additions for brewing where do you start?

There is no chance of getting a water analisis as I have approached the local council and they now think Im a crazy troublemaker.
We are above the catchment area of Brisbane so those stats are irrelivent.
More questions.
How effective are these things overall? At removing flouride and chlorine? Pretty good. At removing car bodies off your lawn - not so much.
Could I assume its close enuf to pure H2O? No, depends on what other metals are in there.
With these type of filters what is left in there after sediment, fluoride and chemichal filter, what will I have left to work with? Generally other metals such as (but not limited to) copper and iron.
Should I treat it as RO water ? No. It will depend largely on what is still remaining. Having said that, if you have good water initially, then it will be close. It won't make it worse, put it that way.
What would happen if I added 5.2 powder to mash? The space time continuim will implode, trees will start growing on the ceiling, Julia Gillard will get re-elected and dogs will walk on their front legs only. (Probably not much)
I could go on with the Qs? but if anyone has similar experiance after installing one of these things, advice appreciated.
I just think I should be looking at my water differently now.
Ive recently started adding salts ect with good results so now have to re calibrate\calculate. I see it as a new base water but have no stats.
All advice appriciated.
Daz

Latest posts

Back