Water Loss During Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
How much water do you guys loose during your boil.?
Does anyone know where a can get a boiling pot. A Keg would be ideal.

Wedge :chug:

Wedge, allow for at least 8 litres lost in a 60 minute boil.
There really isn't a set amount, its up to you and your system what gravity and volume to get. The gravity and volume is what its all about just keep fine tuning that and let the yeast do the rest.
The last four of my brews I boiled for 2 hours and lost 15 litres to the boil.

Cheers, Jayse

It depends on the shape of your brewpot, esp the ratio of surface are to volume

I keep the lid partly on when boiling to reduce evaporation

Finding an old keg for use as a kettle is getting very hard

Jovial Monk

Wedge

Look around for an old electric copper washer.
Normally come in 50 and 75ltr...
I have a 75ltr one.

Pm me and you are welcome to come around one day and check out what i have...

I think it does depend on everyones set up. I tend to lose 20% of the starting volume. It is trial and error but once you can replicate the boil you can then adjust recipes to suit so that you end up with X litres at the end of the boil.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

I normally keep the lid on when I boil (with the lid on you don't use as much gas), are there any reasons not to do this? eg. I've heard that boiling gets rid of volatiles etc etc. Does keeping the lid on mean that bad things can stay in the brew?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

John Palmer says...
Once you achieve a boil, only partially cover the pot, if at all. Why? Because in wort there are sulfur compounds that evolve and boil off. If they aren't removed during the boil, the can form dimethyl sulfide which contributes a cooked cabbage or corn-like flavor to the beer. If the cover is left on the pot, or left on such that the condensate from the lid can drip back in, then these flavors will have a much greater chance of showing up in the finished beer.

There you go, Boots, partial coverage is fine, but full coverage isn't.

I calculate my loss at 10% of the volume per hour (via Promash).

That is bang on for my setup which is a 50 litre converted keg fired by a three ring burner with all rings going and the lid removed when it has come to the boil.

Beers,
Doc

My setups the same as yours Doc but my keg isn't on bricks.
I lose a fair bit more than you though.
The keg I use is perfect, the top 'ring' in the keg is my ussual starting boil amount of 34 litres and the weld around the keg is right on 26 litres.
For a dip stick i measured that roughly .88cm equals 1 litre.

Jayse'all boiled out'

Back