Water Filters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my water filter solution.
Currently I've been using the Brita Tap Connected filter for the last five years.

Here is the MoreBeer one that is style I have in mind.

Is anyone using a similar filter to More Beer and can provide a good brand/model and supplier in Australia ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc

I use a benchtop filter that takes .5micron carbon filter. The brand from memory is aquapure. I will look for the filter and cartridge and get back to you with some more info

Hoops

Doc said:
I'm looking to upgrade my water filter solution.
Currently I've been using the Brita Tap Connected filter for the last five years.

Here is the MoreBeer one that is style I have in mind.

Is anyone using a similar filter to More Beer and can provide a good brand/model and supplier in Australia ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="53341"][/post]​

Doc,

There seem to be 2 standard types in the most commonly used 10" size - you have the plug in type like the aquapure system uses or the simple double ended type. both work fine, it's just a case of tracking down the cheapest price. When it comes to filter cartridges, make sure you use a solid carbon one & not a granular one. The granular filters are less efficient & tend to channel after a while like a bad mash...

Doc

couldn't find any details on the filter cartridge. I'm pretty sure most of the filters and housings fit each other and are standard. I went to Reece plumbing when I was in Toowoomba and they were helpful in explaining the different filters and what fitted what.

Sorry I couldn't find any more info, if I do I will let you know though

Hoops

checkout ebay for parts or systems that are invariably cheaper than bunnings, reece etc.

i guess it depends on if u want to continue the tap connected approach, or permanently install one under the sink.

cheers

If you want a serious water filter and you aren't afraid to open your wallet Reverse Osmosis is the only way to go. Here is one system you could look at. I'm sure there are other brands also:

Reverse Osmosis at Wikipedia

PuraLife

Bascially it is an under sink carbon water filter that I'm looking for. Sometimes they are referred to as entire house water filter.
The MoreBeer one just has all the fittings suitable for the AG brewery already done.

It will be used only for the brewery and will be attached to my new 19" Brew Rack.

Sounds like they are all much a muchness. Just get a carbon block one (reverse osmosis will be overkill and too pricey for me).

Beers,
Doc

1900.jpg

As a suggestion guys (and before you spend the coin on something that might cost close to $100 landed) I purchased one of these for my golf club not that long ago in Brisbane.

If one of the Brisbane guys is in the Archerfield area one day (Beaudesert Road) drop into Pumps and Pipes. I was using these for one section of my irrigation system which was regulated by fresh water. A new one (from memory) was around $30 - 40. They will take either carbon or the paper style catridges.

I'm sure you won't have a problem finding someone to drop in for a check.

Cheers - Brett.

doc,

I certainly wouldn't be importing one - plenty of people selling them here - just take a bit of time to check prices, as there are some extortionate markups on some brands. The best local company I found up here was pure rain for my PET beer filters ($14 whereas people were paying upto $75) www.purerain.com.au

cheers Ross...

Aaron said:
If you want a serious water filter and you aren't afraid to open your wallet Reverse Osmosis is the only way to go. Here is one system you could look at. I'm sure there are other brands also:

Reverse Osmosis at Wikipedia

PuraLife
[post="53372"][/post]​
You can use RO water as a base for your water supply, but you need to add the right chemical additions so you have the right mineral composition. Otherwise fermentation is likely to be poor, as the RO process would have stripped out the good stuff, as well as the bad. Of course it all depends on the style of beer to be brewed, whether it demands hard or soft water.

The carbon filters, as suggested, IMO are the way to go as it will remove the chlorine and other unwanted elements but leave in the good minerals.

Mate I know owns a Spring water business and has just replaced all his 20" 0.5 micron filters with some monstrous S/S thing. There are about 10 of them on manifolds and he was just going to store them in case.

I'll have a chat and get the details and post back if he wants to sell them cheap.

Dave

GOLIATH said:
Mate I know owns a Spring water business and has just replaced all his 20" 0.5 micron filters with some monstrous S/S thing. There are about 10 of them on manifolds and he was just going to store them in case.

I'll have a chat and get the details and post back if he wants to sell them cheap.

Dave
[post="53426"][/post]​

Sounds brilliant Dave.
Look forward to hearing back about them.

Doc

I would be interested as well Dave

Batz

Just remember guys, they're twice the size of the normal 10" household filter - check on your replacement cartridge costs as they may be a bit expensive...

Ross said:
Just remember guys, they're twice the size of the normal 10" household filter - check on your replacement cartridge costs as they may be a bit expensive...
[post="53445"][/post]​

Thanks for the tip Ross.
Not only that they seem to be harder to locate as well. Typically the 20" cartridges are also 20 and 10 micron.

Looks like the 10" is a better option for the ease of getting replacement cartridges especially down to 0.5 micron.

Beers,
Doc

Well I was in the right place at the right time

Scored a few 10" housings for nix , not the clear ones but can't see that being a big problem.

Batz

I have a 10" clear water filter housing.
Does anyone know of the temp rating for the plastic these things are made of ? eg. Has anyone used one with 100 degree wort ? Any off plastic flavours result ?

Beers,
Doc

Apparently you can get a joiner to connect two 10" filters to go into a 20" housing, if this helps anyone. Might be cheaper to buy a bulk qty of 10" than a smaller qty of the 20".

Went into a filter shop a couple of days ago - their markups were enormous compared to eBay prices (I actually thought they were quoting fitted prices!) I was quoted nearly $700 for a 'basic 2-stage' setup - and I have to fit it myself!)

This guy on eBay looks good:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Magnetic-World

His name's Ian & he's been really helpful answering all my q's and his prices look good. The only reason I haven't bought yet is I haven't worked out which way I want to go.

Doc - if you've got some money to spare, you can get all stainless housings. They had them in the filter shop I went into - I saw a tag of $270 for the single but they had doubles too (I wasn't buying either!) You could probably get it a lot cheaper elsewhere (this guy is dreaming methinks) but they looked beautiful.

Latest posts

Back