Water Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForkBoy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to eliminate a kind of harsh/bitter/medicinal flavour that has appeared in all my all grain and partial brews so far. Pretty sure I've got the mash pH, and temperatures sorted so I don't think it's tannins. I've pitched with healthy yeasts (straight from the White Labs vial), and use iodophor (12ppm) on anything that comes near the wort, so I don't think it's an infection or wild yeast. My next suspect is the chlorine, as I've read that this can produce harsh phenols when brewing from grain that is detectable in very small doses.

I was wondering how many of you all-grain brewers filter your water with an active carbon filter to remove the chlorine from the tap water? Did you notice a significant improvement after you started filtering?

Thanks

boil the water first, should drive it off. and make sure you airate the water before adding yeast as boil will take out the 02

or put the water in a container adn let the chlorine evoperate

Let me say this...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS filter your water if its chloronated!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the water treatment plants dont use chlorine gas to chloronate water anymore. They have switched to chemicals called chloramines. These little monkeys do the same job as chlorine but cant wipe out an entire city if the tank goes. The bad things about them is that they only get concentrated when you boil the wort.

When I judge the first thing I pick up on are chlorophenols. The reason is because I didnt filter my water the very first 3 beers I ever did and when you know what you are looking for the taste and smell are unmistakable. Get a filter but make sure its activated carbon. I got a large one at my local home store that is supposed to fit under the sink. I have a hose from my kitchen faucet to the filter and then food grade tubing out the other end. The housing cost $9 and the filter $5 and needs to be replaced every 4000 liters.

Cant beat that!

I use a Brita on tap water filter.
I always have.

My father in-law is a plumber so I got him to install a tap in my shed and that is where I have the filter.

Takes a little longer to get the water (reduced flow rate) but at least I know what I'm not getting in my water.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks All, I'm convinced - off to buy a filter right now! :)

I occasionally use one of those very same filters. Just wondering though, can anyone tell me whether they remove oxygen from solution in the water? If so, aeration before filtering is wasted.

I just put a rainwater tank in, so I'm planning on brewing with rainwater straight from the tank. Can anybody see a problem with this?

I'd first check the pH of the water.
Then I'd do a brew that you have previously done that you can compare the results side by side etc.
If the results are off (in a bad way), then the only way to know what the differences are in the makeup of the water would be to get it analysed at a lab.

Beers,
Doc

Snow said:
I just put a rainwater tank in, so I'm planning on brewing with rainwater straight from the tank. Can anybody see a problem with this?
Snow,

I have been brewing with rain water for ages now....no problems...

Ken...

ken do u rainwater in your mash and what do you add in the water for ph ect

Jazman said:
ken do u rainwater in your mash and what do you add in the water for ph ect
i dont worry about ph....

I just make beer....

Just put the rain water in the mash....

Does activated carbon remove oxygen from solution in the water?

Time for me to get a water filter, any recommendations on something CHEAP that will do the trick? Cash is low but I think it is needed...

Slugger,

have a look on ebay.

I won 2 of the benchtop canister-type water filters the other day for $20 including postage. Was a bit worried when they arrived as they are manufactured in Argentina and pretty no frills (no instructions, box covered in spanish with only English phrase being "Aqua filter"). Seem to work a treat though. Plenty of fittings.

Was sent to me by Everclear Water Coolers in Victoria.

BTW, no affiliation etc.

Jez

Jez, do you have a link to the product you won at all? So I can have a look...

Cheers!

no prob

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

as you can see I got this one super cheap :D

and like I said, I've got no affiliation with the seller, its just a nice product.

as the outlet tap on the unit is small it takes a while to top a fermenter up to 23L but you can also aim the water flow accurately.

I sit it on top of the washing machine with fermenter underneath. the drop in height aerates the crap out of the wort. First time I did it there was foam everywhere!!

Jez

Thanks Mate, looks good. will keep an eye out on ebay for something similar.

Snow said:
[post="4438"][/post]​

Snow,

I use tank water on all my brews - I also add 1 teaspoon of calcium sulphate to the mash - not sure it's really needed, but I don't have a ph meter yet - either way, I'm enjoying the results... :chug:

any one buying activated carbon filters, avoid the granular ones - they can channel like a bad sparge & then are next to useless...

Latest posts

Back