Water Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
I am currently doing BIAB in a 40L Birko Urn.

I have been guessing the amount of water to use thus far and have always managed to get it pretty good. So good that my OG has always been within 2 of the desired.

Is there a calcualtor out there that will enable me to accuratly determine the amount of water required for the amount of grain I am about to use. I have tried searching the forums and have had no luck.

TIA

Have you downloaded the great (and free) beer recipe designer, Brewmate?

Have you determined your hourly boil-off rate for your system yet? If yes, you're already on your way. This tool will caculate it for you if enter your boil time, batch size, system efficiency etc etc with assuptions for grain absorption and the like.

Brewmate has all the quantities in the "Brewday" panel. However in practice I add about an extra half litre of water with my system.

Beermate (free), Beersmith, Promash are a few of the apps. I would recommend using them as they can work out brew sheets for you and it makes brew day a simple process. I use Beersmith, but I assume the others will do the same, where you can put in the weight and material type of the mash tun and also grain and mash tun temps, and not only does it tell you how much water it will calculate the strike water temp based on all the environmental factors.

QldKev

Thanks to all.

I actauly have Brewsmith 2 on my computer but I have not really sat down and played around with it. I worked out that i needed at 28.5L for 4kg grain for a mild ale.

Meh, it is mashing now and the liquid is darkish, so something right must be happening.

Ianh's BIAB spreadsheet also does the job.
There is also a spreadsheet called "the calculator" on biabbrewer.info website which is handy for working out your efficiency and volumes.

Latest posts

Back