Water Amount In Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kohmatsu

Reaction score
The person at the local homebrew shop said that the water volume when using kits should be lowered to 18-19 litres for a fuller flavour. But the kits say 23ltr. This is explained as the kit companies wanting to make it like their kits make more beer. This is also recommended with the extra dry malt or dextrose that might be added.

What does everyone think? Should we drop the water, or keep it at 23 ltr?

This is such an easy way to experiment with your brews. I suggest you try it and see if you like it.

The beer will taste slightly more bitter, and slightly sweeter, the two should balance. The residual malts will give the beer more flavour too. Also, the end result will have some extra alcohol.

Certainly some of the premium kits such as ESB 3kg stout suggest making up to 18 litres only.

Another dead easy way to experiment is the two can screamer, two of your favourite kits, no extra brewpack of dried dextrose or DME. Get those tin openers warmed up!

Unless I've added other ingredients to a kit brew, I've always brewed them to 18 litres.

At first it was convinience, the volume just fills 2 crates of 750ml or a dozen 1.5 litre bottles.

But, the bonus was noticeably better flavour and body.

Favourite k&k recipe is Muntons Highland Heavy, 1kg LME and 500gm dextrose.
Age 3 months and a supurb drop

Back