Water additions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillz

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what the rough make up of east gippsland water is, specifically bairnsdale. I got the report from the water board but it isn't very helpful.

Here is the report.
Pages 38,39 and 40

Attachments

• Water Quality Annual Report 2017-2018.PDF
    604.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The info is there from p14 onwards ;
Mg = 19 PPM
CA = 24 PPM
PH = 7.4
CL = <5 PPM
Hardness = 23 PPM

I don't see anything in there on sodium or sulfates which seems a bit odd. Given the water in VIC is generally soft and low in mineral content you might have to assume this is also low at say <10 PPM

Thanks mate, yeah i couldnt see the chloride, sulphate or bicarbonate.
Wasnt sure if it was worth much with half the parameters missing.

Bicarb does get a mention CACO3 at 23 PPM so the only ones missing are sodium which isn't that important as the sulphates but as I said, you'd just have to assume this one as being low. My water in Mel south East has low sulphates of about 8 PPM so go with that as a start

Careful. That report does not provide any indication of the water's alkalinity or bicarbonate content. The 23 mg/l hardness value maximum from the report is not an indicator of alkalinity or bicarbonate. While hardness and alkalinity can be quoted in 'as CaCO3' terms, they are definitely not the same things.

Bottom line: that water report is insufficient for telling you how the water will perform in brewing use.

Latest posts

Back