Water Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday Fellas..... Something i have never touched is water... I have been rocking the inline water filter for brewing and It has made a wicked difference and really easy to use, but I don't add any minerals into the water... I'm Central Highlands Water out here and was wondering what you fellas do in terms of mineral additions to soften the water...

Cheers Tim

What sort of inline filter? RO? Without knowing what it is getting rid of and what is left in the water it is hard to know where to start. CHW web page should give you an indication which reservoir you are drinking from and how they treat it. They are good at providing a run down of what's in it also (although it's what comes out of the filter that you need to have an idea of).

I messed with cal chloride and cal sulfate a few years ago when I had time to think about that sort of stuff, but other than ******* up a dark beer with too much cal sulfate, I can't be sure that the effect was significant in any way. I don't monitor mash ph and haven't for a long time, and I think if I were to go back to water additions it would be as a response to mash issues OR if I knew I was using effectively 'blank' water like RO or good Lal Lal rainwater for example.

Jump in and let us know how it goes :party:

Back