Washers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guest Lurker

Big Dog Brewing
Reaction score
OK. Spent an hour annoying the guy on the desk at Tradelink and I think I have all the bits for putting pickups and ball valves on the HLT (converted keg) the mash tun (esky) and the boiler (converted keg).

My remaining doubt is what to use as a flexible high temp washer on the inside of the nipple in the boiler and HLT. The base of each has a lot of curvature and I need a thick squashy washer to seal the keg wall against the nut.

I bought a couple of cistern washers made of rubber to experiment with. But, to save lots of experiments to see how different materials react to heat, how well they seal, whether they taint the water, can I get some ideas of what people have used and have found to work?

I just made mine out of insertion rubber , they are around 4mm thick , works OK on the curvature inside the keg , also put them on the outside
If you stuck send me what diameter you require and I'll knock some up for you

Good Question GL. What is "insertion Rubber" Batz - other than the obvious...... :)
and where does one buy it from (in Perth)

Well it comes in a sheet , we use it at work for water line gaskets , OK with heat as well.
As for where you buy it ? Well I don't buy it but I am sure it would be easy to obtain
Of course I can make them if you need some :p

I have one keg with welded fittings and one with compression fittings.
The one with compression fittings uses the washer that came with the Zymico weldless kit.
It is a red round (ie not flat) washer.
My first brew leaked (more seaped) out the side, but every brew since has not been a problem.
If you can get one of those washers it would be the go.
You can sort of see what I'm talking about from the Zymico site here.

Beers,
Doc

ive just used big fat o-rings and have done a few trial boils and the stuff seems to be holding up ok.also checked the mitre 10 plumbing section and found some great rubber stuff to seal the tube ive got running through the rubber maid cooler.
didnt do a taste test but reckon if any it should be minimal due to the size of the boil.

hope this helps

big d

On my set ups i just use a couple of red tap fibre washers under a ss washer.

No problems with leaks etc so far...

ive got one of those red fibre washers on each side of my kegs. both leaked, but only slowly, and got slower the longer they held the wort. want to try getting two on the inside at least if i cant find one of theose round gaskets.
joe

ps. im guessing the kegs leaked mainly because of the fact they arent exactly a flat surface for the washers to seal against. and being fairly thin washers they can only do so much.

Thanks guys. Will give my rubber ones a go and if I get stuck will give you a shout Batz.

Okey Docky
Easy azz for me to make some up and post'em off

Back