Warning, flammable liquid. Bad English translations.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trucks use diesel. Diesels not flammable it's combustible so they have it wrong anyway.
Just saying.

"Combustion" basically means "burning".

Diesel is less flammable than petrol but it is wrong to suggest that it is inflammable (or "not flammable").

I hope this knowledge has made the image even funnier still.

Maybe it's just warning that it needs to be installed on a frame?

but that really is gold. Reminds me of the cartoon drawn together when ling-ling (the pokemon character) talks about who we really are, with the subtitle saying 'who we really L'.... or something along those lines.

Disclosure: I may or may not have made a meal of re-telling that story.

How many of you guys can speak Mandarin, let alone read a single Chinese character?

I spent a year trying to get Taiwanese people to understand my Mandarin. Not one of them could understand me until the 5th try, and none of them thought it was funny that I was saying purple monkey dishwasher barbeque when I wanted fried rice with wontons or directions to a street.

The stereotype of Asians being crap at English is almost as strong as the stereotype of Australians being racist bogans.

Settle down, Nick. We're having enough trouble with English. Let's not complicate matters.

Baby steps.

Nick JD said:
How many of you guys can speak Mandarin, let alone read a single Chinese character?

I spent a year trying to get Taiwanese people to understand my Mandarin. Not one of them could understand me until the 5th try, and none of them thought it was funny that I was saying purple monkey dishwasher barbeque when I wanted fried rice with wontons or directions to a street.

The stereotype of Asians being crap at English is almost as strong as the stereotype of Australians being racist bogans.
Maybe your just crap at mandarin? Option?

That's not a real truck, it's a plastic or diecast model.
Still funny.

bradsbrew said:
Maybe your just crap at mandarin? Option?
Yes, I am. You gotta sing that shit.

mā má mǎ mà ma

Mother brother horse scold huh? Looks like plain old "ma", isn't.

Engrish is the Chinese getting it almost correct. I've met about 3 people ever who learnt passable Chinese as an adult.

jyo said:
'tis too real.
was thinking the same thing until i realised there wasnt a fuel cap to fill the tank up,
and mind you their quality department missed the gash in the tank..

Nick JD said:
Yes, I am. You gotta sing that shit.

mā má mǎ mà ma

Mother brother horse scold huh? Looks like plain old "ma", isn't.

Engrish is the Chinese getting it almost correct. I've met about 3 people ever who learnt passable Chinese as an adult.
You need to hang around smarter people Nick ... ;)
Cheers
BBB

jyo said:
The fuel tank on my son's prime mover has a warning, thankfully! Hahaha!

http--,,--// Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That is just plainly stating that it is framable, and perhaps the glass on the frame could break if mishandled (once framed).
bum said:
"Combustion" basically means "burning".

Diesel is less flammable than petrol but it is wrong to suggest that it is inflammable (or "not flammable").

I hope this knowledge has made the image even funnier still.
And to be perfectly pedantic while we are just sittin' and whittlin' on a verandah in Pedantown Mr Bum...

From Wiki: Linguistics: flammable vs. inflammable
Flammable and inflammable both mean capable of burning. The word "inflammable" came from Latin inflammāre = "to set fire to," where the prefix "in-" means "in" as in "indoctrinate", rather than "not" as in "invisible" and "ineligible".
While I despise the word, the one you were reaching for was the seemingly redundant "non-inflammable".

It's a fair cop.

Bizier said:
That is just plainly stating that it is framable, and perhaps the glass on the frame could break if mishandled (once framed).
So it's a caution to framers?

Back