Warners At The Bay - Beers I Liked

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Warners at the Bay has probably been done to death on the forum but I feel the need to post up.

I had in order...

Little Creatures Bright Ale***
Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale**
Mildura Brewery Murray Honey Wheat***
Lord Nelson Summer Ale****
Pigs Fly Pale Ale****
Dogbolter Dark Lager**
Mountain Goat Hightail Ale**
Vale Ale****
OB Obriens Pale Ale (Gluten Free)*
Burleigh Brewery HEF*
Burleigh Brewery 28 Pale Ale****

The one star beers were just awful. They both poured flat and they were sickly sweet and thick, almost syrupy. They tasted like my Smurto's Golden Ale I cooked at 69*C. Just gross. I can't believe I got them one after the other. :icon_vomit:

The two star beers were nice but I think I drank them at the wrong time. The Alpha Pale Ale was very bitter. The first third was lovely and I though I could drink this all day. The second third was a struggle and by the end it tasted like medicine and I was over it. The Dogbolter said it was a good dessert beer and it would be. It was sweet and not really the refreshing beer I was after. The Mountain Goat was good too but again not the taste I wanted.

The three star beers were superb and I really enjoyed them. A great balance. The smell from the LCBA just jumped out of the bottle. The Murray Honey Wheat I could drink all day.

The four star beers though were incredible. Just what I wanted. I drank the Pigs Fly and it was the first one that really talked to me. I was drooling. Even the missus was into it. I thought I couldn't get any better but straight after that was the Lord Nelson which took first place and relegated the Pigs Fly to second. After the Dark Lager and the Hightail Ale I was feeling a bit over the whole beer thing but my missus came back from the bar with the Vale Ale and it almost had me drooling on myself. Sooo nice. It bumped off the Lord Nelson as best beer and was leading until......I ended on the 28 Pale Ale after the two crap ones, as even on a full stomach and getting tired with ratty kids, it took out first place of the evening. :icon_drool2:

I would have kept going but I had a beautiful risotto and was feeling pretty full and the kids were starting to get tired.

This morning went into the bottle shop and almost foamed my pants. What a selection. I brought home a single of the four star ones from above plus singles of....

Sunner Kolsch (Ger)
St Fruillien Saison (Bel)
High Rollers Wheat Beer (US)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (US) - Can't wait to try this one :kooi:
Chimay Peres Trappistes (Bel) (The white one)
4 Pines Kolsch (Aus)
Boatrocker Alpha Queen
Bridge Road Single Hop IPA Series Summer (Aus)
St Bernardus Wit (Bel)
St Bernardus Tripel (Bel)
Monteith's Pilsner (NZ)
Hawthorn Witbier (Aus)

All for just under $80 which I think is great value for what they are and where they're from.

It's funny that a six pack of SNPA at Warners at the Bay is three bucks cheaper than the LCPA in my local.

Anyhoo just thought I'd share. If anyone has any comments on the above beers i'd love to hear them.

Every time I go anywhere near Warners Bay my credit card starts making whimpering noises, over 1,000 beers to work my way through and just the one liver not fair!
Mark

Anyone know if Warners have got any Heretic beers?

Herit.JPG
Yep

Damn I really need to get my butt into this bottle shop.

This has to be the best bottlo in NSW ....Sydney has nothin on Newie! :chug:

But Ol Sydney town has some.good.brewpubs though like harts....

I just tried the St Bernardus Wit......it could be love.

The Chinatown was superb, the high rollers wheat awesome, and the saison saisonsational, the SNPA was.....nice but built up too much by my expectations.

The rest.....meh.

Every time I go anywhere near Warners Bay my credit card starts making whimpering noises, over 1,000 beers to work my way through and just the one liver – not fair!
Mark
Only ONE liver? I have dibs on another one, but it's become a race to see who destroys their liver first.

Last beer from there was a growler of Feral Karma Citra

My SWMBO used to play netball right next door to Warners at the Bay. I agreed to go with her and "watch" and then after every game I'd just swing into the shop "while we're out here".... Venues have changed this season for some reason...

Back