Wanting To Start Out Some Ag, So Is This Worth It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattric

Reaction score
I'm starting to take a keen interest in the wonrders of beer making with regards to all grain and was curious if this all grain starter kit was worth it if if I would be considered stupid and should start with a more simpilar BIAB setup?

I personally wouldn't buy it. If you are comfortable thinking about $600 this is what I'd recommend as a starter kit. Prices are estimated

- $40 litre urn ($270)
- BIAB bag ($25)
- Silicone hose for racking ($10)
- 20 litre cube ($16)
- Grain/Hops/Yeast for a batch ($30-40), get it cracked at the HB store
- Some sort of kettle fining agent ($5-10)
- Mash paddle (big potato masher ideal) ($10-20)

Well under $400 and no stupid bucket of deaths or anything like that. If you want you could spend the additional $200 on a mash tun and still be doing way better than that deal as you have an urn instead of a plastic bucket.

Seems a lot of money to me (for what it is). A 10 gallon mash tun with only a '25L boiler' seems an extremely odd pairing given that you will probably want to end up with 19 - 23L finished product (thus no way you'll be able to start at 25L due to evaporation and boilovers etc).

You wouldn't have to go to BIAB (although you could do so in one hit at half the money of this via an urn) - you could still put together a decent 2 or 3v setup for less than $600.

Just my opinion, and as the least 'handy' person I know I can understand the appeal of getting it all in one hit, but if you can try and meet some AG brewers in your area you will see how basic the gear is that you need.

Either way, good luck. :icon_cheers:

edit: beaten by Mark...but, the sentiment is the same regardless of which way you went in regards to mashing system and/or biab.

I was told that a wort chiller was a MUST HAVE item. Have I been told lies and mistruths?

I was told that a wort chiller was a MUST HAVE item. Have I been told lies and mistruths?

Yeah.

Go no chill with a BIAB set up first.
I went from K&K to BIAB 40l urn and only now looking at 3V setups.
Sub $400 and a great way to learn.

If you want you can just use a food processor to crack your grain!!

~50/25kg bag=5 brews (25 litres each)=$10/batch (it used to be cheaper before some of the maor retailers stopped Joe Bloggs from purchasing, but I digress)

Its "generally" cheaper if you but a whole sack of malt (25kg)

Should you do it?

Well if you like beer of a quality you cant buy for under $70/case, then yes.

Warning: It can become an obsession!!

cheers

Darren

Only insofar as the 'must have' premise applies to it. It is a fantastic and useful optional extra that many people get around in a number of ways. Search 'no chill' for example. Also, as has pointed out in various threads recently, the wort chiller will get your wort as cold as your available water source, and in summer that may still be too hot for pitching temps, thus requiring extra chilling facilities once the wort is in the fermenter. Heaps of ways to get around it.

If you want you can just use a food processor to crack your grain!!

Blender that'll crush ice will do 500g in about ten seconds.

When you're finished I highly recommend washing the blender by stuffing it full of seedless watermelon chunks, ice, the flesh of a ripe mango and 400ml of Bacardi.

I'm starting to take a keen interest in the wonrders of beer making with regards to all grain and was curious if this all grain starter kit was worth it if if I would be considered stupid and should start with a more simpilar BIAB setup?

I think this is a bit of a rip off in all reality. Here was my entry into AG brewing:
Mash/Lauter tun - Free esky from roadside collection with stainless steel braided for lautering (heaps of info on making these and seriously it's dead easy) $5 for the braid another $5 for connection, $3 for a plastic valve on the outlet.
Kettle - 50Ltr stainless crab cooking pot $80 from ranger camping.
Copper immersion chiller - $30 second hand from a mate on this website, but dead easy to make something similar from green shed. (Could drop this and go no-chill)

I made my first beers on my BBQ until I could justify a dedicated burner / immersion heater etc.

So for less than a quater of the price you describe, you can make a 2V / 3V (if you use some regular kitchen pots etc) and generate some decent all grain brews straight out (not including ingredients of course). This could be reduced by the cost of the materials for the mash/lauter tun conversion, but would need some viole for a bag (cheap as well).

I would do this and put some money into other useful items that will be useful throughout your brewing time regardless of method (temp control is the first I would look at if you haven't already, keg gear etc)

Cheers
:beer:

Thanks guys. You've been an eye opening help.

God no. Anyone that tells you that is an idiot. Same with grain mills. You can also buy one whenever you want later on so there's definitely no need to buy one up front. Search for 'no chill'. You transfer the still hot wort to a plastic cube and let it cool slower. Very easy to do.

Its "generally" cheaper if you but a whole sack of malt (25kg)

While this is true, I wouldn't recommend bothering with this for your first batch. Unless your home brew store can't crack it for you. It just doesn't make any sense to do it straight up. I've been brewing for a few years now and still have no desire to buy a grain mill (or cheaper alternative) or buy grain in bulk or buy a chiller. You will know after a few batches or after 50 or even never, when you want to buy these optional extras. It'll depend on your own preferences and circumstances.

I am confused how someone thats been on the board for 6 months can be so arrogant as to demand "proof" of something .. how about you STFU or prove yourself

Back on topic

I think BIAB is a great, cheap and easy way to enter into the world of AG but if you want to go 3V and have the cash then talk too your local decent HB shop and take on board what hes saying.. not to forget that with BIAB most components can still be used in a 3V system anyway

Tom

You guys need to get a room or something.

EDIT: Problem is my LHB is the one flogging $600 mash turns with wort chillers.

Hi. You can pick up a simple All Grain Starter Kit at one of our stores (or online) for $399 - its just the basics:

- 38 litre Mash-tun with False bottom + Ball-Valve Tap
- 50 litre Boiler with Side-pickup + Ball-Valve Tap
- 1 Meter Silicon Hose
- 12 Dial Thermometer

You'll find more info and pictures at:
http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/product-in...-mash-kits.html

We will also crack all the grain for you, and provide the Whitelabs yeast and fresh hops as well, if you want them. We generally encourage no-chill as the easiest way to get started, avoiding the cost of chillers. We also stock some basic recipes kits with all the grain, hops and yeast to get you started on your first brew, if you want to start that way.
Call us on 1300 TO BREW to ask any questions about getting started or find us at www.brewerschoice.com.au

Cheers David

My mate just got into all grain BIAB for around $300! that was a 40l crown urn,bag,big funnel to sit the bag in and sparge plus grain,hops and yeast to do first brew,,go for the BIAB and see how you go!

...of course the other thing (which I believe is far more useful than the traditional k+k, extract, partial, AG route), is the stovetop threads from NickJD. You can do full on AG for $30, get some experience in the subtleties and nuances of AG and then spend your money on what is right for you and your approach.

But I must admit, if I'd had the money to spend back when I became committed to AG I would've jumped in the deep end for sure haha.

IF the guys behind the counter have any knowledge, pick their brains on other systems they have/ offer that combined with the information on this board better suit you .If not try and find a local that will show and teach you how to use his rig

The reason is they should be the easiest people to help you out when your having troubles with your brews .. they will also taste test if your having troubles (What are mates for :p )

Tom

I vote going no chill as well when you start. You won't have issues getting the temp down, you don't waste water if you're not able to reuse it and you have the time to deal with your yeast and fermenting when you want to as opposed tohaving to pitch the yeast right away.

BIAB is great as well

How about you two keep it on track with the OP, and take your shit slinging into the chat :beerbang:

I agree with most, looks a little steep, you just need to remember if you like beer you will be obsessed soon, so better to start with a bigger kit. That said i have support my habit for 18 months do the high gravity NickJD method and only cost me $50 including grinder!!

Back