• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted to buy - grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingmarwoc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to take the plunge into all grain and hoping to pickup a second hand frainfather if anyone has one for sale.
Ideally the connect model but open to any alternatives.

Join the Grainfather group on Facebook, there was one for sale on there recently.

I own a Grainfather with connect controller. I know people with Robobrew. If I was buying again, knowing what I know now, I'd go for the Robobrew.

I own a Grainfather with connect controller. I know people with Robobrew. If I was buying again, knowing what I know now, I'd go for the Robobrew.
Whys that?
Is it a function of the cost difference or functioanlity etc?

Whys that?
Is it a function of the cost difference or functioanlity etc?
Robobrew +1. For nearly 1/3 of the price, (got mine with pump for $460 with 20% off ebay code) would rather spend the extra $$ on ingredients and other brew gear.

+1 for robobrew as well. Mine has been going well and the only real difference I can see is the automatic functionality which is worthless in my opinion. I got my robobrew secondhand with pump and hoo spider for $220

The Grainfather Connect controller is a gimmick. For starters, it doesn't even properly attach to the body of the Grainfather. It's a design issue - the people at iMake stuffed it up (the new controller is too big on one end to fit into the metal bracket) and even though the issue has been raised multiple times by many people over the last year, they are doing nothing about it. The Bluetooth range on the controller is useless and the only software it will work with is the Grainfather app. Which is not great. In fact, the first Android version was unusable and they had to pull it and start from scratch. Both the app and the firmware in the controller are buggy. As far as I know, iMake/Grainfather have never released any firmware updates for the controller and if they did, they are certainly not even notifying customers that reported bugs in the firmware. Non-trivial bugs. Bugs that will crash the controller with the heater permanently stuck ON. So, they are effectively safety issues. As you can probably tell, I am less than impressed with the company. If you are gravitating towards Grainfather based on the Connect controller, I'd say it's not worth it.

A far better approach would be to go for the Robobrew with pump and stick with the standard controller which will probably be adequate. It will save you a huge amount of money. If you have a burning desire to go for a high end controller that is actually useful, you can look at upgrading the Robobrew to use the SmartPID controller.

As far as customer service is concerned, iMake / Grainfather customer service sucks in comparison with Keg King. I've bought multiple things from Keg King over the years and in every instance they were great with after sales support and resolved every issue I had to my full satisfaction. And by going with Keg King you are supporting an Australian business.

< /rant over > :rolleyes:

+1 for robobrew as well. Mine has been going well and the only real difference I can see is the automatic functionality which is worthless in my opinion. I got my robobrew secondhand with pump and hoo spider for $220
Thats not a bad deal!

The Grainfather Connect controller is a gimmick. For starters, it doesn't even properly attach to the body of the Grainfather. It's a design issue - the people at iMake stuffed it up (the new controller is too big on one end to fit into the metal bracket) and even though the issue has been raised multiple times by many people over the last year, they are doing nothing about it. The Bluetooth range on the controller is useless and the only software it will work with is the Grainfather app. Which is not great. In fact, the first Android version was unusable and they had to pull it and start from scratch. Both the app and the firmware in the controller are buggy. As far as I know, iMake/Grainfather have never released any firmware updates for the controller and if they did, they are certainly not even notifying customers that reported bugs in the firmware. Non-trivial bugs. Bugs that will crash the controller with the heater permanently stuck ON. So, they are effectively safety issues. As you can probably tell, I am less than impressed with the company. If you are gravitating towards Grainfather based on the Connect controller, I'd say it's not worth it.

A far better approach would be to go for the Robobrew with pump and stick with the standard controller which will probably be adequate. It will save you a huge amount of money. If you have a burning desire to go for a high end controller that is actually useful, you can look at upgrading the Robobrew to use the SmartPID controller.

As far as customer service is concerned, iMake / Grainfather customer service sucks in comparison with Keg King. I've bought multiple things from Keg King over the years and in every instance they were great with after sales support and resolved every issue I had to my full satisfaction. And by going with Keg King you are supporting an Australian business.

< /rant over > :rolleyes:

Wow. I guess you got a lemon.
I on the other hand have nothing but good things to say about the Grainfather and their customer support. I have owned a Grainfather for over two years now and would have done over 50 brews with no problems at all (apart from my own inexperience).
I upgraded to the new controller when it came out and think it is absolutely fantastic (granted the wifi range is virtually useless but no real big deal) and as far as it not fitting properly? Mine seems to fit fine.
Each to their own. Do your research. The Robobrew wasn't around when I was in the market and it is a lot cheaper. I haven't used or even seen a Robobrew in action so I couldn't compare them but I can honestly say I love my Grainfather.
Edit: Also I have the grainfather connect app on apple and have had several updates. I have never had a problem running any recipes through the controller they have all worked seamlessly no glitches.

Last edited:
Wow. I guess you got a lemon.
I on the other hand have nothing but good things to say about the Grainfather and their customer support.

It's possible, although unlikely, that I have a flaky controller. But if that is the case, then Grainfather customer support have failed, on several occasions, to rectify the problem. So, I still can't recommend them, based on my experience. Paying more for the Grainfather does not necessarily mean you will get better product or better support than cheaper alternatives.

However, I totally agree with Bridgey23, you need to do you own research. Going to Grainfather fan clubs, such as their Facebook page, is unlikely to give you the full picture. Places such as this forum might shine a bit more light.

I have 2 mates that bought the Robobrew ,and after seeing my GF in action are disappointed they didn't pay the extra $ for the Grainfather,
It was all about build quality and reliability nothing else.

No affiliation to Grainfather or Imake, just a happy customer for 3 years owning one

Gregos

It is sonething to consider ,that is, where the profits go. Australia with kegking or New Zealand with imake.

is the robobrew made in this country..i have a grainfather with old controller(retirement present)..had no real issues...except draining the unit(old type strainer blocks with hop matter).the counter flow chiller works a treat

is the robobrew made in this country..i have a grainfather with old controller(retirement present)..had no real issues...except draining the unit(old type strainer blocks with hop matter).the counter flow chiller works a treat

I would be very, very surprised if anything Keg King sold was made in AU.

Just finished another successful brew day with the GF.
Uploaded a recipe to the GF controller app last night set the delay timer to start heating the mash water at 4.30am and milled my grain.
Got up at 5.30am (it was ready a little earlier) mashed in and went back to bed for an hour. Got up and continued the rest of a smooth brew day. All cleaned up by 9.50am and just waiting for the wort to come down a few more degrees for pitching.
Ah I love my Grainfather.

Latest posts

Back