Wanted To Borrow: Turkey Fryer Pot for Christmas Deep Fried Turkey&#33

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
So, lots of people buy the Turkey Fryer setups, with the Turkey Burners from camping stores, perhaps to do BIAB, or other beer related things...

12795_img1_L.jpg

These days they're sold as Crab Cooker pots, etc

I'm planning on deep frying a 5-6KG turkey this christmas eve, like the yanks do, but if I use my 50L 40x40cm pot then I'm going to be up for about 30L of oil!

A more sensibly sized pot would be say 30-35cm wide and 45cm tall or so. Perhaps 30-40L? The key is for it to be just wide enough to fit the turkey in, yet tall enough to have 10+ cm of free board.

I was wondering if anyone was willing to lend me their tall and skinny pot for Christmas Eve :)

(I don't need the burner)

I promise I'll return it to you cleanerer and betterer than its ever been before ;)

Thanks if anyone can help

I would think you'll need a sufficient amount of oil such that the turkey doesn't make it too cold when you put it in.

Doesn't really address your question or help you though ;)

Parks said:
I would think you'll need a sufficient amount of oil such that the turkey doesn't make it too cold when you put it in.

Doesn't really address your question or help you though ;)
You're supposed to cover the turkey with water, then pull the turkey to work out how much oil you need.

Which basically means you need to fill a pot to the height of a turkey standing vertically, less the volume of said turkey.

You then heat the oil to 190C. Turn burner off, lower turkey, and then reheat to 175C (it will have cooled). If its taking to long to come back up, pull the now warm bird and reheat before re-adding bird ;)

BIAB pulley setup should come in handy!

beersuit recently deepfried a turkey. Very successfully by all accounts.

Stux,

you going to use that Italian spiral burner of yours? If so you might get a charcoal chicken from a 5kg turkey!

Use your pot and deep fry a turkey, duck and a chicken. That will reduce required oil :)
Neighbors may be in a frenzy though.....

Cheers,
D80

Do you have camera to video very popular on youtue when flames up does this void insurance.

Stux you on the right track with your cooking schedule. Make sure when you turn the gas back on you give it a good dose of power to get if back to temp so it doesn't get greasy.
We did one a few weeks back with my American mate and it turned out the best turkey any one had ever eaten. You won't be disappointed.

Diesel80 said:
Stux,

you going to use that Italian spiral burner of yours? If so you might get a charcoal chicken from a 5kg turkey!
That's the plan :)

You can actually control the spiral very well, so can give a good burst of heat but then back it right down

Beersuit said:
Stux you on the right track with your cooking schedule. Make sure when you turn the gas back on you give it a good dose of power to get if back to temp so it doesn't get greasy.
We did one a few weeks back with my American mate and it turned out the best turkey any one had ever eaten. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks, will do

Stux said:
You're supposed to cover the turkey with water, then pull the turkey to work out how much oil you need.

Which basically means you need to fill a pot to the height of a turkey standing vertically, less the volume of said turkey.

You then heat the oil to 190C. Turn burner off, lower turkey, and then reheat to 175C (it will have cooled). If its taking to long to come back up, pull the now warm bird and reheat before re-adding bird ;)

BIAB pulley setup should come in handy!
Hrmz, this is contrary to the YouTube vids I've seen.

Heat oil to infinity, drop in bird, massive fireball + insane 3rd degree burns - done?

Parks said:
Hrmz, this is contrary to the YouTube vids I've seen.

Heat oil to infinity, drop in bird, massive fireball + insane 3rd degree burns - done?
Not quite as bad as using the heat pad in summer to ensure the fermentation doesn't drop below 28C right?

Back