Wanted - Simple Kit-based Lager For A Xxxx Fan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh....and seriously consider the 200g-300g of wheat malt, just sub out some of the LDME...this is another thing that I recently have become in love with :) gives noticeable improvment to head rentention

Although I am getting into BIAB in an urn so the kits and powders are quickly becoming old hat....

rendo

No worries mate! Let us know
Yeah, with beersmith you can accomodate the kits. U just need to find the colour(EBC) and the IBU, usually the manufacturers will tell you, then you can whack it into beersmith. Easy done.

Cheers

Sweet. So I'll be trying something like this...

Coopers Lager Kit (or Canadian Blonde - I notice it's a bit more bitter, is it much of an improvement from the lager kit?)
700g LDME
300g Dried Wheat Extract
500g Sugar
25g Cluster Pellets (15g for 60min, 10g for 15min - boiled in 5L water with 500g malt extract)
US-05 yeast, ferment cool around 16-18

He'll be bottling so probably using carbonation drops to keep it simple until I can convince him to bulk prime with Dex. This is about as complicated and he's going to handle for the moment though I was considering steeping some crystal for colour - something to tweak later on I guess.

Thanks for all the input.

Jakub, looks tops mate.

I bet its going to make a cracker beer that he might like better than the real XXXX. I would bet on it. Especially if you ferment at 16-18. Thumbs up on the wheat malt!
Go canadian or lager, i go canadian :)

Carb drops are good for now...good choice. Then get him into bulk priming or "pseudo bulk priming" (as I do...google it on here if u want to know more)

If you do remember then please come back to this thread and let us all know how it goes. Taste, head, carb levels (yes with the carb drops) etc etc, bitterness, aroma, colour.....Will be great to hear it....and let us know your bro's verdict

Rendo

EDIT: one last thing....dont rush it into the bottle either. Give it a good few days rest in the primary once fermentation has finished.

Sweet. So I'll be trying something like this...

Coopers Lager Kit (or Canadian Blonde - I notice it's a bit more bitter, is it much of an improvement from the lager kit?)
700g LDME
300g Dried Wheat Extract
500g Sugar
25g Cluster Pellets (15g for 60min, 10g for 15min - boiled in 5L water with 500g malt extract)
US-05 yeast, ferment cool around 16-18

He'll be bottling so probably using carbonation drops to keep it simple until I can convince him to bulk prime with Dex. This is about as complicated and he's going to handle for the moment though I was considering steeping some crystal for colour - something to tweak later on I guess.

Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back