Wanted: Quick Conditioning Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
I'm after an AG ale recipe which is fairly quick to condition (drinkable by easter) and is a good no chill option.

How quickly does DSGA come into its own once bottled? Or would I be better off whipping up a coopers sparkling (or similar)?

Cheers to all,

JD

+1 on the wheat beer either hefe or american or a pommy mild or ordinary bitter.

+1 on the wheat beer either hefe or american or a pommy mild or ordinary bitter.

Simple no fuss or historical accuracy brown ale can be done easy, 1 week ferment 1 week condition and kegged
80%pale
5% carafa ii
5% chocolate
5% special b
5% special roast
If English fuggles to 25 ibu and s04
If American centenial and simcoe to 30-35 ibu with us05
Yummy I think I will make an englishish one too...
Edit: formatting

DrSmurto's Landlord might do, the omnipotent Butters used to endorse 'grain to brain' for that sort of thing in a week, IIRC. IMO that's still a bit young but worth considering.

If you have Brewing Classic Styles to hand, I've had the special bitter in the keg and drinking in 12 days. You need to have plenty of yeast in really good health but it can be done. A slurry from a previous brew is ideal

I'm after an AG ale recipe which is fairly quick to condition (drinkable by easter) and is a good no chill option.

How quickly does DSGA come into its own once bottled? Or would I be better off whipping up a coopers sparkling (or similar)?

Cheers to all,

JD

DSGA by easter will be great. so do 2 or 3 in that time :)

Wheat or aussie pale. Grain to brain in 7 days

Edit. Just seen ur bottling. P&c is right youll need longer than a week. But once carbed u ciukd pretty much drink staight away.
From memory its like 90% ale, 5%wheat 5%carapils, 1 60min hop addition to 30ibu, recultured coopers.yeast

Of course if you're bottling, you're going to have to wait longer than a week (assuming natural carbonation).

DrSmurto's Landlord might do, the omnipotent Butters used to endorse 'grain to brain' for that sort of thing in a week, IIRC. IMO that's still a bit young but worth considering.

I've made that a few times but as I bottle I find it takes a few months to really come into its own. Bloody good beer though, one of my house brews.

Of course if you're bottling, you're going to have to wait longer than a week (assuming natural carbonation).

Yep, bottle conditioning. My student budget won't extend to kegs at the moment.

I can get it into a cube next saturday, into the fermenter on sunday so assuming fermentation goes well it'll have about 4 weeks to condition before needed.

I'd definitely be going for a bitter or lower abv English pale that only requires low carbonation. Buy a syringe from the pharmacist and give it the 'pocket sparkler' treatment in lieu of a hand pump and off you go.

There are heaps of good basic English recipes, as long as you have good ingredients and English yeast you can make a good fresh beer that you'll be enjoying at Easter (like with most specific styles, the yeast and the right ingredients are important...Simpsons or Bairds or TF crystal and base malt at a minimum, and a good English liquid yeast, my current crush is on Wy1318 London III) - you may have luck with Aussie malts in this style, but I haven't and I haven't tasted (m)any that used Oz malts and weren't lacking in some English character.

The B.A.R. are all pretty avid drinkers of English beers with lots of first hand experience from being over there, and I have vicariously picked up a bit about these beers and very occasionally make a decent one. Some of the best beers are a simple %90 - %95 GP or MO base, %5 - %10 crystal (I prefer darker, 80L for eg), caramunich can be good also. Bitter appropriately on your system to a level you are happy with, late hop with some EKG or Styrians (or whatever the hell you want), and off you go. My personal fave hop combo is northdown and Styrians...

To that bill you can start messing around with carared instead of crystal (or in place of part), some choc etc etc etc. It is also amazing to try different yeasts - that same sort of bill with wy1084 is a cracker also.

Just my thoughts...(I'm brewing a few of these types at the moment in preparation for the chill autumn evenings).

Wheat is the fastest, aussie ale is good too.

Basically the lower gravity beers with a healthy large pitch of yeast will ferment fastest as your reducing the fermentation time by reducing the growth phase and fermentables. Picking a style that benifits from a warmer ferment esters - within reason - will speed it up too

I'd definitely be going for a bitter or lower abv English pale that only requires low carbonation

My personal fave hop combo is northdown and Styrians...

Just my thoughts...(I'm brewing a few of these types at the moment in preparation for the chill autumn evenings).

Northdown has to be one of my favorite english hops, but looking for the perfect late hop combo.

Styrian sounds just the ticket so will def give this a go.

Thanks for the inspiration!

:beer:

And here i was thinking all AGs where grain to brain in a week.. :p
Must say they taste the best the second before they blow though :(

Really have to start stocking up a little

DSGA or a plain old SMASH will be fine too i reccon by easter

And here i was thinking all AGs where grain to brain in a week.. :p
Must say they taste the best the second before they blow though :(

Really have to start stocking up a little

DSGA or a plain old SMASH will be fine too i reccon by easter

I think i'm sold on a wheat. Haven't made one yet so now is the perfect opportunity.

Thanks lads,

JD.

Edit: spelling.

I brewed the Sierra Nivada Pale Ale from MHB's Brewbuilder database last Satuday. Fermented till Wednesdsay, crash chilled thusday, kegged and foorced carbed Friday and was drinking like a charm Saturday, 7 days later and clear as a bell. Must of been the BM :)

I was in a hurry to get a couple of brews down before my holidays in early February. No time to make a starter, so I pitched a couple of cubes directly into the fermenters after bottling. Straight onto the yeast cakes of wyeast 1098 british ale. They both went off like a rocket and were fully fermented in about four days. I crash chilled for 48 hours then bottled. It was the first time I'd pitched this way. Gotta make sure your working areas are pretty well sanitised of course.

Just cracked a couple, and well...superb! Conditioned beautifully.

So, if you've got something fermenting now, that might be an option, or at least something you can try another time when in a hurry. ;)

If I liked wheat beer I'd recommend like others have, but I don't!

Bowie

Great idea... except its a massive over pitch, at fg on a brew you need about 50-60ml of (compact) yeast slurry to directly repitching into a new brew, of course, you know this and wouldn't advise people to overpitch their yeast right?

Unless its a massive beer. It works great for making high alc beers. THough its a MUST to keep ya big beer cool at the start of fermentation.

Back