• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Hops rhizomes in WA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramps

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I know it's early in the season but I thought I'd get in early to prepare for the season

And yes I know we can't import hops from interstate (without going thru quarantine)

So Please if there are any:

a) West Australians who have hops rhizomes for sale or
b) Eastern staters that have legitimately exported to WA and know the protocols (and costs) of quarantine and have rhizomes for sale this year

please let me know

I wlll be around for this w/e but out bush for a couple of weeks after that so if I don't reply after Monday pls persist ... I do care :)

Cheers

Ramps

If you search eBay for hop plants there's a guy selling POR rhizomes in Bridgetown for $25

mate I bought a cascade rhizome a couple of years ago from a guy down in Albany. His name is Rupert and he runs Hops West. cant seem to find his info at the moment but I will try and find it for you.

Doubleplugga said:
found his e mail address for you. might be worth a try.

[email protected]
He has a mailing list of folks who want to buy rhizomes, I'm on it :)

He also sent me a heap of info about soil preparation and what Hops like & dont like.

Cheers

yeah and the 2 cascade rhizomes I got were huge. I got 2.3kg wet from the first year harvest!!!!

Thanks Guys
sounds like I need to be on his email list as I haven't seen any activity from the guy in Albany for a couple of years, prob gets enough business from his email list. Thanks Dars and pp
I'll try to chase down the guy in bridgetown as well (closer to home ... thanks hophead)

Prob with searching ebay is that you're looking for the 0.1% and I just don't have the time to look at 1000 adds to find the one I'm after ... then the timing has to be right

I can now narrow it down with the hints you guys have given me
Good to hear cascade will grow well in Perth ... we should have even better hop growing climate here

There's a fair few people in WA growing hops, so shouldn't be hard to find some. I have a Mt Hood growing, does really well here. I dug it up from out the front and replanted it, and it's now back growing out the front again (must've missed some of the rhizome). I'm happy to dig that out at some stage and give it away to Perthites who want to come collect.

Otherwise, there's Rupert in Albany as has been mentioned. Or I got mine originally from barls who took the time to do all the quarantine paperwork to have the rhizome sent from NSW. PM him to see if he has any.

Personally I'd suggest that just before spring hits might be a better time to transplant? But I might be wrong.

Thanks Kaiser
knew there would be a bunch a locals and figured this was the best way to contact them and find out what varieties are available and grow well in our climate
And yes you'e right ... I'm a little early yet
Cheers

I've got some por and cascade in the back yard. I could probably dig out a rhizome for you if your keen.
Kaiser, I'd be keen on a Mt hood rhizome when you start digging it out mate.

No worries Hippy. I might dig them out fairly soon, so I'll let you know.

if you try tom from west coast brewers he can hook you up with a shit load of risomens

Rupert as said before has a good range and great Rhizomes. If I could replant I wish I built better soil structure with some "sand to soil" under the potting mix etc. Now I'm loathe to replant and set them back another harvest.

i have sent to wa before a couple of times.
once to kaiser the other to rupert.
not really planning on trimming mine too soon.

not me, i got chinook, mt hood and wurtenburger.

Back