• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Hop Rhizome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to hear from anyone that would be kind enough to sell me a rhizome,

Cheers

Case

How much do they normaly sell for? Where can you get them from? My dad was looking for something to grow up at his hobby farm.

Case,

Grumpy's BrewHaus has a supply of Rhizomes for sale each year about July.

Am going to have a crack at growing some in SE QLD. Plant Type Friend assures me they will grow but not set many flowers in this climate. Thought I might try stressing the plant prior to flowering time to see if I can trick it into reproducing more.

Regards,
Michael

Lebowski,

Grumpy's sells rhizomes for $35 delivered.

It's a bit late to plant them now though. Might need to wait until next year.

Grumpys stop selling them at the end of the June or July. Probably best to wait until next year now.

Screwtop -
they do grow in SEQ, well, in Brisbane anyhow. I collected around 25g (dry weight) from my second year PoR..... may it rest in peace. I had to dig it out to put in a new path, and it is now dead, but, with TLC, you should be able to succeed.... flowers are small, but you do get some.

dreamboat

Case,

You can have a rhizome or two for free.
Ive got two plant varieties....now here in lies the problem, one is tettnanger and one is Elsassor and somehow ive managed to lose the tags so not sure which is which, but PM me if you want some.
We can just dig a bit of rhizome up and transplant it.

Cheers.

nice one BigAl - I may get in touch with you also next winter :beer:

BigAl said:
Case,

You can have a rhizome or two for free.
Ive got two plant varieties....now here in lies the problem, one is tettnanger and one is Elsassor and somehow ive managed to lose the tags so not sure which is which, but PM me if you want some.
We can just dig a bit of rhizome up and transplant it.

Cheers.
[post="81197"][/post]​

Steve said:
nice one BigAl - I may get in touch with you also next winter :beer:
[post="81201"][/post]​

Me too. Would $20 cover post from WA?

Wondering if it is time to kick off this thread again?

I trust all the Hops growers out there are seeing the vines developing well.
(Assuming no casualty from heat).

Anyway, I'm interested in growing hops myself in 06/07.

Is Rhizome the only way?
From what I have read, seed is not a good option for hops.

What about growing from cuttings? It has been demonstrated earlier that they take without any encouragement.
Is that an option?

Any Melburnians likely to have rhizome spare (or can provide cuttings/seedlings)?

As for the effect of soil types (or preparation) on flavor / aroma, I guess I will worry about that later!!! :excl:

--------------

Cheers

Likewise I want to grow some, any available in QLD. Took some cuttings in Tassie last Jan but they did not take root.

Same here, one friendly AHBer has offered me a POR cutting, and I'm going to buy a Hallertau rhizome from Grumpy's, but I'm troubled by some of the things I've read here about growing from rhizomes.
If anyone in WA can offer cuttings other than POR, it would be greatly appreciated.
I realise it's too late for this season, but keep me in mind when your thinning the new bines toward the end of the year.

Simo

im the same but in sydney up to taree in nsw.

So it looks like we have most of the country covered... from Melbourne to Brisbane to Perth...

BTW.... I'm not fussy on type at this point... something is better than nothing!

By the way, I am willing to pick up cuttings, seedlings, or rhizomes in Melbourne if they are available. Will consider $$$ (or "beer commerce") based on offerings.

Alternatively Grumpy's or Brew Goliath may be the answer for Rhizomes closer to the new season kickoff (mid-year?).

John

I've successfully grown Goldings and Chinook from rhizomes but my cuttings carked it, much to my embarrassment as I had them set up for swapping with other kind hearted brewers - I'd say stick to rhizomes and you'll be right. If you're a green thumb then feel free to have a go with cuttings, but getting a rhizome skips the hard part of establishing a root for the plant.

Cheers,
TL

By the way, I am willing to pick up cuttings, seedlings, or rhizomes in Melbourne if they are available.

Dark Horse,
I have a CLUSTER hop plant (got it from Mark Ellis on ebayin late 05) growing in the back yard.
If you want and you are quite welcome to come around and strip a few lower leaves over the weekend to get a few cuttings on the go.

If you get a few to strike now they will be able to be stored over winter and you will have a head start for next season.

Just PM me.

BTW I am in Montrose.

Luke

I have a Columbus that is just taking off. I've been very mean to it so it only has one bine that's about 15cm long.

In a few weeks it should have plenty of leaves to spare for cuttings so your welcome to drop by and swap a brew or two.

I don't know if hop vines are any different to grape vines, but with grapes you need a cane if you want to grow one from a cutting. Leaves won't work. I may also be totally misinterpreting what you are referring to though...

If you have long canes growing free, a handy way to get a couple of duplicate plants is just to bury a loop of the vine in the ground. The section that is underground will fire roots and eventually you can snip it off where it connects to the mother plant. Then once it is established you can try diging it out. And then there were two... :D

On the topic of hop vines though - I would LOVE to get an Amarillo vine. In case you haven't guessed already, my family is in the wine industry and we thought we might put a row or two of hop vines in. Its in the Hunter Valley so the summers are hot, but the winters are also quite cold, so it might work out...

Anyone know if you can get Amarillo rhizomes? Evidently you can get chinook and cascade relatively easily...

T.D.

I'll meet your cane and raise you a leaf :lol:

The leaves strike roots and do survive. However I'm yet to see it's progress. Pictures at 2 weeks form cutting and then after 2 weeks in the pot. Still surviving not growing but who know what those roots are upto.

Borret

leaf_cutting.jpg

crazy_leaf.jpg

apd said:
I have a Columbus that is just taking off. I've been very mean to it so it only has one bine that's about 15cm long.

In a few weeks it should have plenty of leaves to spare for cuttings so your welcome to drop by and swap a brew or two.
[post="104535"][/post]​
sounds good mate i might get in touch with you in the near future as its not to far from my olds place.

Back