Wanted: Hop Rhizome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
I've been a bit slack over the past couple of months and kept putting off buying them now the brew shops dont stock them anymore :(
So yeah i live in sydney and am looking for a quality rhizome prefferably not POR so if anyone wants to get rid of one let me know what you've got and what price your after.

Cheers, :beerbang:
Hopsta

Colin Marshall at my local HBS (Brew Your Own at Home) in Canberra has them. Im sure he would be more than pleased to sell you some and post them to you.....no affiliation blah blah blah.....just helping out a fellow hop grower.
Cheers
Steve

Colin's list of rhizomes (as of 5 Aug) looked like this:
5 x Pride of Ringwood - locally grown and best suited to Australian
conditions, at $5.00 each
1 x Goldings $25
1 x Hallertau $25
1 x Tardiff de Bourgogne $25
1 x Cluster $25
1 x Precoce de Bourgogne $25
1 x Chinook $25

...I grabbed the Chinook to sit alongside my 2 year old Goldings!
Colin's number is 02 6296 1412

Cheers,
TL

i spoke with colin today - all that is left is approx 5 POR rhizomes.

I picked up a single POR which will be sent out on monday in the mail

However I asked to go on to his list for info and any e-mails/updates for when they come available

Cheers

MWS

Thanks to all who responded i ended up getting a Cluster rhizome off Mark Ellis cant wait to get it in the ground!

Cheers :beerbang:
Hopsta

Hopsta,
His rhizomes look reasonably cheap - I'd be interested to know how he packages the rhizome for mailing, once it arrives?

TL

Hopsta

I have quite a few POR, tettnang and hallertau plants going in the glasshouse already, and could easily send either small plants or rhizome sections in the mail. I'm going to pot up some pearle, cluster and hersbrucker rhizomes this weekend. I'd rather swap for varieties I don't have but if you're keen I could sell you some.

POR is worth growing as it seems to grow much better than other varieties and yield more. I have been negative toward POR in the past but if fresh it is a very good hop.

Lochrocking

Yeh $15 for the rhizome + $7 reg post - It should arrive late next week, i'll let you know. I think i saw AndrewQLD left a post in his buyers comments list in Ebay so im assuming he's bought rhizomes off him berfore? If so how was the packaging?

Hopsta,
Mark packages the hops very well, the rhyzomes are wrapped in wet moss, then wrapped in several layers of damp newspaper in a plastic bag. He also sent detailed growing instructions and a hop description.
Good value for money.

Cheers
Andrew

lochrockingbeers said:
Hopsta

I have quite a few POR, tettnang and hallertau plants going in the glasshouse already, and could easily send either small plants or rhizome sections in the mail. I'm going to pot up some pearle, cluster and hersbrucker rhizomes this weekend. I'd rather swap for varieties I don't have but if you're keen I could sell you some.

POR is worth growing as it seems to grow much better than other varieties and yield more. I have been negative toward POR in the past but if fresh it is a very good hop.

Lochrocking
[post="73920"][/post]​

If possible I'd definitely be interested in purchasing some hersbrucker and tettnang rhizomes or small plants off you. Where abouts are you located?

If possible I'd definitely be interested in purchasing some hersbrucker and tettnang rhizomes or small plants off you. Where abouts are you located?
[post="73928"][/post]​
[/quote]

I'm in country NSW and have a bit of space to grow hops, which is why I've split my rhizomes for this season --> to have more plants. I won't know about hers until the weekend as a friend grows it but I could spare a tett. PM if interested.

Ive just ordered from Colin, postage to melbourne is $4.40 making a POR $9.40. good bloke to deal with. I also ordered a cluster off Mark Ellis, and I'm picking it up on Wednesday. Both highly recomended.

Back