• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

[wanted] Hop Rhimzones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtmc

Reaction score
As above.

Express posted or I can pick up in Melb CBD.
Particularly interested in Cascade and Amarillo, but also keen to see what else is on offer.

:excl:

As above.

Particularly interested in Cascade and Amarillo, but also keen to see what else is on offer.

You won't find anyone with amarillo - it is a proprietry/licenced hop variety, so you won't get a hold of it.

Can't help with cascade, but have chinook, cluster, pride of ringwood and tettnang.

PM me if interested.

Brendo

Wrong time of the year to be digging up rhizomes too...

PM me near the end of winter and I can fix you up with a cascade for nothing if you're willing to come out to Sunbury. I also have Chinook and goldings.

No disrespect intended but you sound like you need to do some more research.
Hops are in their growing season at the moment. They will die back and become dormant rhizomes during winter, this is the best time to dig them up and post them.
A lot of varieties that we would all like to grow are under proprietary licences and are thus unavailable to the public.

Here's a good place to start reading: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=91

Have a good look through this thread to wet your appetite some more for next season: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=51061

Cuttings at this time of year might work - that's a cheap, easy way to get some hops going. See if you can find someone with hops who might let you take a few cuttings, by some hormone rooting powder and pot them up. Do quite a few, as you might find some won't take.

Also, rhizome cuttings would probably still take this time of year as long as they were watered regularly and cared for, but you'd be stretching it to find someone willing to dig up their existing, growing hops to provide you a rhizome cutting.

I was lucky enough to obtain 58 Victoria hop cuttings 1 week before Christmas from a fellow brewer on this site and I now have 2 little babies I'm nursing. :lol:
Should mention the cuttings were quite tender prunings. You would be wise to take cuttings from the thick base of long bines, but you will struggle to find any at the moment because most growers will be looking forward to harvest and wouldn't dare chop them for want of crop.
Be patient.

My chinook was from a cutting and is going great guns in it's second year, the bloke didn't use any rooting powder either but i would imagine it would up your success rate.

As above.

If you can drag yourself out to ringwood you can take a Tett cutting...thought it was gunna die but is throwing new bines and shooting off from the base... weird..

probably can snip a bit of my POR without issue too.. as I say though, you will have to make the effort to come out here.

1.JPG

Yob

Back