• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted-bulk Sanatising Solution/powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Could one of u guys point me in the right direction of a supplier of a bulk sanatising solution. I have been using Hydrogen peroxide with not a single infection, yet. (sh*@t, why did i say that?) and would like to get my hands on it in bulk, or something similar. I love this stuff as there is no need to rinse although excesive amounts left in the fermenter prior to filling will kill off some yeast, I would expect.
So if you can let me know of something better i would love to hear about it.

STEPHEN

stephen drop into your local butcher shop"retail"not woolies or coles and they should be able to get it for you,,we use it here in adelaide in butcher shops ,it comes in about 20/25 litre drums,then you just put on a plastic tap
cheers
fergi

SJW said:
So if you can let me know of something better i would love to hear about it.
STEPHEN
[post="51647"][/post]​

SJW
Not sure if it is better, but I find iodophor (sp?) works a treat. I make up 5mls per litre, put it in a spray bottle and spray EVERYTHING like a lunatic. No need to rinse, just let dry normally.
A 250ml bottle cost about $7 from memory. So at 5mls per sanitising session I get 50 goes - pretty economical. Once the brew is tucked away, I fill the airlock from the spray bottle as well.
I think Wes said in a previous post that it is used by the dairy industry.

My 2c.
Cheers

Thanks Fergi,

Quincy: Where would i get this Iodophor from? And maybe one of our Chemist type people could let us know what the active ingredient is, how it works, and all those type of details.

Stephen

I get it from Mel Robson at ESB in Peakhurst in Sydney.
www.esbeer.com.au

Sorry, can't help with the chemical make up.

If you want it in bulk, I think he also sells it in a 1 litre bottle.

Cheers

Just checked website - 250 mls $8.50, 1000 mls $25
Also, just realised that I use 1ml per litre - not 5mls per litre as I said before.
So, its even more economical than I previously stated.
Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers
Quincy - who needs a lie down. :(

All you ever wanted to know about iodine and idophor.

Bay City Mashers article

Easiest way, go to the chemist and buy a 500ml bottle of Betadine Antiseptic solution, contains 10% w/v Povidone - iodine. Get the brown bottle, not the blue bottle, which is the same price but lower concentration. I use 2.5ml per litre of this stuff. Try different chemists, some sell the big bottles, some don't. They will all sell you a little bottle which does work out expensive.

Another source is horsey supplies. They have a spray on bottle of "True-value" stuff for less. Or try your local vets.

If you live in a dairying area, try your local agricultural supply shop. They will sell dairy sanitiser and also phosphoric acid in 5litre and 20 litre drums.

On brew day, I make up a 4 litre solution of iodine, and anything I want to sanitise sits in the bucket, the fermenter gets a slosh, and drains back into the bucket. After brewday I chuck it away. Also, I have a spray bottle on hand for topping up air locks, spraying and cleaning out tap spouts etc.

pint of lager said:
Easiest way, go to the chemist and buy a 500ml bottle of Betadine Antiseptic solution,
[post="51680"][/post]​

POL,

That's what I used to do. However it's getting harder and harder to find. The Chemist told me that they don't really want to stock it anymore because they have trouble selling such large bottles (500ml) :blink: It then runs past it's use-by.

Also it's not genuine idophor because it does not contain phosphoric acid. I just buy mine from Grain and Grape now. They charge $6 for 250ml of the stuff. Which is cheap enough.

There's also this if you can get to a bulk pet supply store or Vets (though they'd overcharge most probably).

Warren -
(BTW thanks for the article, quite interesting).

GP128.jpg

OK fellas, this Iodophor stuff sounds tops, now when i go looking for it will it all be the same concentration? what %age of active ingredient should i be looking for?

Approx 12500 ppm iodine in (IIRC) 252 g/L phosphoric acid, dilute 1 in 1000 (10 mL in 10 L) for a 12.5 ppm solution. DeLaval sell it in bulk (20 L IIRC?).

Thanks boys, after looking at Betadine, Vetadine and everthing else Iodine i simply decided to buy Iodophor from ESB Mailorder in Sydney. At least that will be the right stuff. Its a big step for me to change from the Hydrogen Peroxide but it's just not that cheap when mixing 30ml's per litre. So thanks for the help once agan.

STEPHEN :)

Back