Wanted - Big Cooling Coil Or Spear....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I am hoping to buy some cooling coils / plates / spears to use to cool wine ferments (500-1000L) and thought some of the crowd on here might have tips of where to look. They will be plumbed into existing cooling system I have at work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pok

Alternatively does anyone on here work as a fabricator and willing to make some simple cooling coils up for me? They don't necessarily need to be a "coil", they just need to be SS and able to have a hose attached at each end and be made to an appropriate size/shape to fit in my milk vats / wine fermenters.

Cheers, Pok

Alternatively does anyone on here work as a fabricator and willing to make some simple cooling coils up for me? They don't necessarily need to be a "coil", they just need to be SS and able to have a hose attached at each end and be made to an appropriate size/shape to fit in my milk vats / wine fermenters.

Cheers, Pok

Can you draw up what you want? A picture says a 1000 words :)

No prob Wallace.

Coil, Like this one but doesnt need to be so "tight". Linky

Or "Spear" is just a shorter sort of "looped" version which is just one "length" of SS. I'll see what I can draw/find pics of

Australian wine maker
Page 8 of the downloadable PDF
mhb
New_Picture.png

No prob Wallace.

Coil, Like this one but doesnt need to be so "tight". Linky

Or "Spear" is just a shorter sort of "looped" version which is just once "length" of SS. I'll see what I can draw/find pics of

By tight, do you mean diameter of pipe?

also, need to know what size your vats are.

Thanks MHB.

Wallace. By tight I mean the coil doesn't have to be wound so close together. There can be larger gaps between each rotation.

The vats are 2500L and 1800L, as for physical size for measurements I dont know off the top of my head and will have to measure them up.

All I really need is a 1" peice of pipe that goes into the liquid to the bottom and then loops out.

Plates like MHB has show above would be great but more expensive :(

Note - Maybe an easier way to explain the "spear" idea is a just a elongated "U". Where the top of the U is then attached to the hoses. Very basic.

I think i know what you mean. A chilled dip tube.

edit: just read you need it out of stainless steel - replace 'copper' below with stainless steel and 'solder' with weld. :)

You could easily make one with some 1" copper pipe and 1/2" copper pipe and two caps.

Cap and braze/solder one end shut of the 1" tube, then drill a hole one one side of the other cap, push the 1/2" copper pipe through it and shove that down the guts of the 1" sealed tube until you hear it hit the capped end. back it off about 10cm, then slide the remaining cap onto the right position on the 1/2" tube and solder in place. You can then drill another hole on the other end of the cap and attach a small section of tube as an outlet.

would take me literally 10 minutes to make, though i'm too far away and shipping would be costly for a long length.

sera,

What I am after is literally on length of SS pipe, not pipe inside pipe like a counter flow chiller. Just one length that goes into the vessel/liquid, loops around and then comes back out. How long the loop is and the "shape" of the loop is dependent on size etc.

As for using copper, not really an option in the wine industry unfortunatley.

here is some high-tech drawings of what I am on about

cooling.jpg

here is some high-tech drawings of what I am on about

View attachment 50661
Yeah i got that. That's one way of doing it. I wasn't talking about a counterflow chiller, same design as yours except rather than a U shape, the water return is just internal. But I suppose your way gives you double the surface area for cooling.. Any shop should be able to do that... Most pipe here come in 6m lengths. It would be rediculously cheap to buy a length and get them to stick it on a bender and do one half turn (assuming your vessel can handle 3 meters of depth. They'd likely do it for cost of the pipe and a carton of beer.

Latest posts

Back