• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted - 750ml Bottles - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistylane

Reaction score
Yep I'm in brewing mode again.... can't damn well stop!

After 700/750ml CUB bottles - "clean" of course / no chips - ASAP.

Will collect around Melbourne area - if they are stacked in creates - err - all the better!

Price?? How much are they worth??? Can exchange for a few bottles of anything from Liquor Land - full of course!

PS. If you know of a way of getting some 2L NT Bitter bottles...... hmmmm

i would recommend getting your bottles from a HBS. they wont be free of course, but they will last heaps longer than a screwtop bottle, and less likely to break when your capping them.

Mistylane.

After the Spring Racing Carnival you'd do well to scout around various establishments fo r Champagne/Sparkling Wine bottles. Strong as and they'd be plentiful at the moment.

For about $10 you can buy a larger bell (triage) for your capper. Wider caps are only a couple of dollars more a packet too.

Only drawback is the green bottle bit. No big deal though if you keep them out of direct sunlight. :)

Warren -

I find with the bench capper the standard caps work fine and are a very nice fit.

I asked a few pubs - they have heaps of stubbies, no longnecks

Still looking!!!!!!!

not such a nice fit with sparkling bottles and they are in abundance
read Warrens post again!

warrenlw63 said:
Mistylane.

After the Spring Racing Carnival you'd do well to scout around various establishments fo r Champagne/Sparkling Wine bottles. Strong as and they'd be plentiful at the moment.

For about $10 you can buy a larger bell (triage) for your capper. Wider caps are only a couple of dollars more a packet too.

Only drawback is the green bottle bit. No big deal though if you keep them out of direct sunlight. :)

Warren -
[post="88965"][/post]​

Whats wrong with green bottles? Some beer comes in green glass, is this bad?

VL

from here:

It is widely accepted and established in the literature that iso-alpha-acids and light are responsible for the chemical reaction that results in 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, or mercaptan. This is the compound that is described as the "sunstruck" or "skunky" smell which can be found in traditionally-hopped beer that is packaged in green or clear glass bottles. A weak bond in the iso-alpha-acid molecule that leads to the "skunky aroma" is stablized through a sodium borohydride reaction, hydrogenation, or both to prevent this reaction from taking place. These modified hop acids can now be safely used in beer packaged in green or clear bottles.

try plasdene
i think in melb they are at preston
google and you will find the website
they make new 640 ml bottles pretty cheap
the type that you find in your lhbs
very good quality

roach said:
These modified hop acids can now be safely used in beer packaged in green or clear bottles.
[post="89440"][/post]​

Mmmm, modified hop acids...

Light is the natural enemy of real beer, keep them apart.

I used Champagne bottles (and still do for everything that doesn't go into a keg) and they are awesome. Some of the posh ones are almost black and definitely pass less light than a brown tallie.

The British actually invented the champagne bottle (in fact we invented champagne). The dirty dirty French started selling us their youngest crappiest wine which continued to ferment on the voyage to Blighty. The Poms started to enjoy the fizzy wine but were getting a bit p*ssed of with the flying glass fragments, so we designed a stronger bottle.

Somehow the frogs decided that the new product was some sort of triumph of french excellence, presumably so they could charge more money for it.

Wortgames said:
Somehow the frogs decided that the new product was some sort of triumph of french excellence, presumably so they could charge more money for it.
[post="89532"][/post]​

Cheese eating surrender monkeys. :blink: :lol:

Warren -

Wortgames said:
roach said:
These modified hop acids can now be safely used in beer packaged in green or clear bottles.
[post="89440"][/post]​

Mmmm, modified hop acids...

Light is the natural enemy of real beer, keep them apart.

[post="89532"][/post]​
Listening to the brewing network atm and on the "drunken show" Matt from Firestone is nicknamed Batman because he dry hops at night to so that mercaptan(ie skunk aroma) is not prduced through exposure to sunlight(brewery is lit during day by taking advantage of sunlight)). He also relayed a funny story about his experience of going into a bookstore after brewing all day, covered in hopdust and being told by the shop assistant to get out because of the skunk smell that had developed.

roach said:
He also relayed a funny story about his experience of going into a bookstore after brewing all day, covered in hopdust and being told by the shop assistant to get out because of the skunk smell that had developed.

I thought that was because it smelled awfully similar to Adelaide Hops...

bottlerocket said:
try plasdene
i think in melb they are at preston
google and you will find the website
they make new 640 ml bottles
[post="89453"][/post]​

640 ml bottles - that's just more bottles to wash compared to 700 / 750!

I think I may need to search for someone that makes 750's with tops suitable for crowns.....

I don't get it. Just grab your wheelbarrow on recycle night and collect them.

Could just buy a few cartons of beer and drink them. Old school.

Murray said:
Could just buy a few cartons of beer and drink them. Old school.
[post="89684"][/post]​

And if you get stuck, one of your fellow melbourne homebrewers will help you drink them, me :lol:

some conditions apply

VL

or you could use 750ml or 1000ml Champagne bottles and large crown seals..... <_<

edit - Or buy some slabs - That idea's good! :D

The commission flats across the road turned out to be a goldmine ;)

Last night I picked up 7 cartons of 750/800ml bottles...
Recycling night homebrewer gold!

WOW! Which commission house block???????????????????

I thought they would have dumped the bottles in the rubbish...... along with all the dirty nappies of course! :ph34r:

One thing I have notcied is that there seems to be a conspiricy over 750ml new bottles??? Yeah yeah 600ml's are stronger (havn't broken a 750 yet in 10 cycles) but that just means more damn bottle washing and at a guess, they probably cost more??

Even ACI don't list them on their web site??

Latest posts

Back