Want To Start Making Decent Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stattonb

Reaction score
Hey all so ive made my 6th brew and eveyone i do taste water like but im only using kit stuff,kilo of dextrose and us05,i wanna step it up and get something close to normal tasting beer so im wanting to start using Dry Malt Extract any tips or suggestions you guys can give me would be great.
P.S been apart of this forum or afew months and the help i got from members have been great just wanted to say thanks

try steeping some grains or get one of those fresh wort kits. There is a thread somewhere with BIAB for $30 or something like that...

BIAB (brew in a bag) is really easy and gets good results. good luck!

thanks mate i have done some searching on here but i find it better just asking members then reading the post and not understanding,i have watched alot of vids of using a "muslim bag" will have to de more research :)

Im not sure how involved in the brewing process you would like to be (kit brewing isnt really brewing tbh) however a fresh wort kit from your local home brew store, if they sell them, and some dry hops is sure to make a damn tasty brew.

Disclaimer. Ive never fermented a fresh wort kit however they seem to come from reputable sources and itd be hard to do worse than a can of goop.

Edit. He beat me to it above.

Yeah they are the ones.

Lagers are one of the hardest beers to get right in home brewing. Fermentation temperature control, yeast pitching rates and conditioning are very very critical to get a well made product free from off flavours. They also take quite a long time to ferment out. My munich dunkel I have on tap now took 35 days to ferment and condition. If there are any ales you enjoy, id go for a fresh wort kit in a similar style. Ales are much more forgiving to brew.

If lager is all you brew, I would recommend the next purchase you make is a fermenting fridge and a temperature controller for that fridge. That will be one of, if not the best next step in vastly improving any lager you ferment.

thanks for the reply i like coopers Pale Ale so i might start there,got a working fridge free off a mate and im getting a sct-1000 i think it is (temp control unit) next week so got temp control covered,ive done my 2nd run of bulk priming whic worked out good both times so now to work on flavour :) i do like largers aswell so will take all the advise given :)

As above mate, ditch the dex, go all malt and you'll notice a big difference.

The coopers pale can was my go to kit, a great base to work with.

you are well ahead of the game with your fridge and STC, you have definitely started off the right way. Make sure your sanitation is good and you should be making some perfectly drinkable beers with kits.

Try the black rock pale kit and 1kg of 50% LME and 50% dex. I normally brew all grain but threw this in the fridge for the boys at work and it actually came up really good. It will be different to new but it shouldn't be too challenging for you, a little bitter maybe but quite nice.

It seems common for guys to start trying to emulate new/vb/carlton etc, but you will quickly find have opened a can of worms with that first can of goop!

some quick things that will really boost your kit beers:

1. steep some crystal malt in 70-80 degree water for about 20 mins and add this to your fermenter with your kit (using a french press or a small "hop sock" in a pot)
2. add 1kg of light dry malt instead of 1kg dextrose (or 50-50 blend etc) when you're making your beer
3. keep using better yeasts (us-05 and other dry packets are much better than your kit yeasts)
4. get some hops to style and add them to your fermenter for 2-3 days after the beer has finished fermenting. then bottle them. this is dry hopping and gives good aroma in your beer.

Moad said:
There is a thread somewhere with BIAB for $30 or something like that...
If you're talking Nickjd's thread then I'm not sure if it hasn't been deleted or whether the tutorial pics with it were removed but it was a great tutorial.

As others have mentioned:

Perhaps try LME (Briess or Weyermann make some good ones), add some steeping speciality grains, and something that I don't believe has been mentioned - try to control your fermentation temp.

If you post up a recipe you're currently doing, your processes and what you're trying to achieve - that would help the members here make some suggestions.

I started with all-grain BIAB (Brew In A Bag). It was an easy introduction to making good beer.

fletcher said:
some quick things that will really boost your kit beers:

1. steep some crystal malt in 70-80 degree water for about 20 mins and add this to your fermenter with your kit (using a french press or a small "hop sock" in a pot)
Don't forget to boil the liquid you extract from the grains or you'll more than likely infect your wort with whatever wild yeast and bacteria was living in the grain. There are plenty of tutorials around on steeping grain.

the first thing i done after my first brew is switch to US-05 and im happy with the results i think to start off with im gonna try using 700g LME and 300 DEX for my next brew and start from there.

You might find that all extract beers are even a good place to start.

So not the kit tins, fresh wort kits are great also..

stattonb said:
the first thing i done after my first brew is switch to US-05 and im happy with the results i think to start off with im gonna try using 700g LME and 300 DEX for my next brew and start from there.
Lots of great suggestions but I think this (your comment above) is the best place to start improving. I started with tins and a kilo of sugar (house hold table sugar), swapped that out for dextrose after a few brews, then started swapping that out for LME and brew enhancers, then started swapping out my yeasts, then moved onto steeping grains etc etc. Change one thing each time you feel like 'moving up a level' and you'll get a good feel for what works for you and what level you are happy to stick with before you want to 'level up' again.

If you want to do a faux lager try using Nottingham yeast(ale yeast) brewed at about 16 degrees. it's close enough without the hassle of the true lager process. other than that US 05 is the go! Temp control, good yeast, hops additions and grain steeping. Learn about these and you'll quickly create something worth your effort. I'd recommend Dr smurto Golden Ale recipe, all extract if your game to dive in.

Back