Want To Block A Drain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got my hands on an old boiler - 70ltrs electric to be precise

No, it has a tap fitted, which is "shit house" and I want to install a Beer Belly hopscreen. Now, the issue I have is the existing tap is fed from a little thing that sits in the middle of the boiler and has 3 holes in it - one on top and 2 on the side.

I am going to get a "real" tap (valve) fitted with the hop screen, but how would I block the original drainage holes? Is there some type of "boil proof", "food grade" silicon type stuff I can just squirt in there?

I would show pics, but the misses has lost the charger for the camera since our wedding........

Is it similar to this?

Element.jpg

I made these up and poke them in the 2 holes.

DSC00059.jpg

And I cut off the crap tap and got a compression fitting to fit the ball valve

kettle.jpg

Is it similar to this?

Element.jpg

I made these up and poke them in the 2 holes.

DSC00059.jpg

And I cut off the crap tap and got a compression fitting to fit the ball valve

kettle.jpg

shit, you stole my boiler

It appears to be the exact same item.

What did you do about the hole in the top?

Also, obviously the element does burn the mesh?

Well i'll swap with yours, 'cause mine is only 40 or 50L!

Did yours come with that cover over the element? I just took that off and bought a screw that fits in the hole, this also prevents the copper ends of the hop screen from feeding too far into the hole and poking the one on the other side out.

The mesh sits under the element. They're those toast wire gauze things you buy at bigw/kmart for $2 that are made to sit over an open flame. No scorching of the mesh and as far as I can tell no scorching of the wort.

Well i'll swap with yours, 'cause mine is only 40 or 50L!

Did yours come with that cover over the element? I just took that off and bought a screw that fits in the hole, this also prevents the copper ends of the hop screen from feeding too far into the hole and poking the one on the other side out.

The mesh sits under the element. They're those toast wire gauze things you buy at bigw/kmart for $2 that are made to sit over an open flame. No scorching of the mesh and as far as I can tell no scorching of the wort.

Cheers for the help :icon_cheers:

Only used it once and took that cover thing off - didn't even realise the screw blocked the hole :icon_vomit:

Appreciated,

Cheers

Latest posts

Back