Wanna See My Cluster?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdh

Reaction score
With the unusual wet and warm weather in Adelaide my Cluster and Hallertauer hops have gone bananas!

How are everybody elses?

tdh

Cluster2004_b.JPG

Not at all like that Thomas you *******. One looks dead, the other has thrown out 1 shoot abot 40 cm long. Ithought these bloody things grew like weeds?

My Goldings looked damn healthy till I saw the tdh triffid. ;)

Probably just over half as much greenery in Sydney. No camera to post a pic. I am well chuffed with mine. It is the first year so I have no idea if it will give me much, if any, hops. Anyone got an idea what to expect from a one year old?

Post a pic of that weed in your backyard, chiller.

A reasonable expectation for the first year is nothing.
Second year, bugger all either.....

dreamboat

Those look awesome.
All the lower leaves on my Williamette are all drying up , burning and looking eaten. Searching the web has told me that perhaps I have a potassium deficiency. I've watered this in and am hoping for an improvement. The other thing it looks like is virus.....Does this happen in Oz?

looks like adelaide remains the hop growing capital of australia ;) :lol:

My PoR "were" at 5 metres. Past tense. A very hot 40c day with a very hot wind killed the top 2 metres.

I'd actually started to like PoR ......... easy, the plant not the hops.

Steve

my POR was on speed! went up up and away. some hot days and its stopped. the golding then took off but stopped and has never looked to happy, the 2nd yr hallertau was screwing around and i was ready to give up, but now its on fire! very green and taking off finally

ohhh and TDH.... you bugger, your pic's make mine look very sad!!!!

mikem108 said:
Those look awesome.
All the lower leaves on my Williamette are all drying up , burning and looking eaten. Searching the web has told me that perhaps I have a potassium deficiency. I've watered this in and am hoping for an improvement. The other thing it looks like is virus.....Does this happen in Oz?
Mikey,
Did your rhizome sprout early, eg, September? My Goldings did the same thing - grew well, stalled and now the first two or three pairs of leaves have gone brown and look moth eaten - but out of that first six inches or so of stem have sprouted new strong vines that are growing well. Keep the water up and don't get too fussy with it - I find that if you treat it mean, it'll stay keen...

Just like the missus :ph34r: :p :lol:

Cheers,
TL

Very impressive Thomas :eek:
Would love to grow hops but I move every couple of years so will have to wait till I settle down in Perth.
I would love to hear how they go in everyone's beers

Hoops

Oi Rubes, are your hops on the northern side of the house in as much full sun as poss and are they travelling from east to west?

I have always had a full handful of hops in the first year but then Adelaide is on the northernmost latitude (35* south) for effective commercial cropping.

I thought I'd bonsai-ed my plants too much for a successful growth due to prolific rhizome hand-outs but it ain't called the 'wolf amongst sheep' plant for nothing!

I throw a handful of Rapid Raiser fertiliser on each plant every 3-4 weeks and give a long slow soaking every week.

tdh

...forgot to add, freshly dried home grown POR are GREAT GREAT GREAT.

Try using them as a FWH hop and I'm sure many will enjoy the resultant flavour.

tdh

Hops are on the northern side and in the best spot for sun I have. Growing West to East. Give them an occasional feed with Thrive once a month roughly.

Ideally they need to follow the sun, east to west.
Hve you trained them to grow clockwise when looking down on top of them? (this is referrring to the vertical section)

tdh

Yeah tdh clockwise. Followed the instructions in this link.

I can retrain the top going East to West. It should be quite easy as it is on a string at the moment. You reckon this would be worth the risk of snapping the bines?

At a glance they look like northern hemisphere instructions, our sunny side is on the northern side for instance.

tdh

mikem108 said:
All the lower leaves on my Williamette are all drying up , burning and looking eaten. Searching the web has told me that perhaps I have a potassium deficiency.
I had this problem with my plant about a month ago, with the leaves looking burnt, eaten and somewhat misformed ie missing a point of the leaf, so instead of three points i had two points

On closer inspection the problem was a tiny catepillar that was working on my plant for three weeks, lucky it didn't breed during this period. Sprayed with White Oil (not the best idea), which killed the cattepillar but also burnt my plant. Check the leaves on the underside closely. If you don't have enough time and can't work out a logical solution to the problem try a harmless natural microbial insecticide, ie Yates Dipel. Works a treat for catepillars quickly and without hurting the plant

Cheers

Will

Latest posts

Back