Waiter there's straw in my grist!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald_trub

Reaction score
Just knocking out an American Pale Ale and noticed that there seems to be straw in my grain. I was just about done with mashing when I noticed it. See the attached pic. The piece in the middle is a normal grain, the piece to the left and the right appear to be straw. If I try and chew on it I can't get through it. There seems to be a fair bit throughout the grist too.

Is it normal to have straw in your grain??

2014-08-02 18.12.04.jpg

Great, thanks. Never noticed it before! I suppose it comes from the same plant so I shouldn't be that surprised.

slcmorro said:
It's not unusual.
Classic case of Tom Jones Syndrome.

Debearders and seed cleaners aren't perfect. Barley is mostly grass. It's gonna happen.

Rocks are the worst, they make nasty noises when going through the mill.

TF Golden Promise, floor malted, was the worst for field rocks, that's why I stopped using it. However I did get a sack of their Floor Malted Pearl and it was fine. Hopefully they have tightened their systems.

Bribie G said:
TF Golden Promise, floor malted, was the worst for field rocks, that's why I stopped using it. However I did get a sack of their Floor Malted Pearl and it was fine. Hopefully they have tightened their systems.

Their MO is really bad for chaff, I haven't noticed any stones yet though, so that's a positive.

The straw and plant material in TFFM MO is the reason I always order Bairds, I can't pick the difference in finished beer and I know I'm actually getting the malt I paid for, not having the weight padded by chaff. Pity the last few bulk buys I've been "upgraded" to TFFM MO due to availability.

When I get to the bottom of the current sack I'm using I'll get some photos, it's pretty bloody thick.

Back