Waiter... Theres A Fly In My Fermenter!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Yep that right.
I made a great Belgian Stong Ale and had racked it after 7 days, and at day 10 I was going to stick it in the fridge at about 1 deg C for a couple of weeks CC'ing. Anyway as I lifted the fermenter out of the large water filled tub i ferment in, i noticed a fly in the airlock. Bugger. But the action of lifting a fermenter sucks a little air and a FLY back into the wort. BUGGER. So of with the lid in with two fingers and plucked it out.
1- I dont know how long the fly was in the airlock for but it was only in the wort for a few seconds.
2- Can i expect an infection?

STEPHEN

I think all that alcohol in a strong ale would protect it pretty well from most infections. If you had some kind of sanitizer in the airlock ie. alcohol you would be doubly protected.

You'll get an infection but you probably won't notice it. I wouldn't worry about it. I once had a large moth go for a swim in my unfermented wort and leave moth scales all through it. Didn't have a noticable effect on the flavour at the end of the day.

- Snow

Snow said:
I once had a large moth go for a swim in my unfermented wort and leave moth scales all through it. Didn't have a noticable effect on the flavour at the end of the day.

- Snow
But now he goes ballistic when someone leaves the front lights on, or lights candles for dinner

Snow,
Was it a moth ale or a moth lager?
What type of moth was it?
What stroke was it swimming with; was it backstroke?
Just curious.
Seth

That's why i always remove the airlock before picking up the fermenter.

Weizguy said:
Snow,
Was it a moth ale or a moth lager?
What type of moth was it?
What stroke was it swimming with; was it backstroke?
Just curious.
Seth
It was one of those big black moths - a good 10cm across. He was swimming breaststroke, I think :p

Bloody typical. Yesterday, after posting to this topic, I went home to brew my pilot version of my Mash Paddle entry, and as I was getting the wort to the boil, a bloody big lacewing dropped into the pot! He didn't swim for long....... :( I think I'll call it Amber Lace.

- Snow.

Back